12 Women Explain Why They Supported The Women's March

These are the reasons why 12 women from all over the country supported The Women's March.

32

In the last week, politics has been all over social media. One event still has people talking and arguing. The Women’s March took place Jan. 21, in support of women’s rights and equality, among other causes. Whether you support it or not, the number of people who came together in unity was incredible. There was at least one march in every state; they took place in over 75 countries around the world, and they were on each of the seven continents, including Antarctica!

I saw many posts on my social media newsfeeds. I knew the basics of why it happened, and I knew the big causes, but I wanted a deeper look into it. I reached out to 12 women of various ages and locations, who either participated or openly supported and asked them why they did. The following are their written statements:

Megan Deahl:Why do I feel such passion and need to lend my voice to the cause? First, I am one in four. I was sexually assaulted as a child and raped at 18, which caused me to contemplate suicide. Fast-forward to 2016, I hear President Trump say, “You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful—I just start kissing them... Don't even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it...Grab them by the pussy.” I support the march to show women that sexual harassment and assault is not acceptable, and our country will not stand for it no matter your wealth and power. Second, I am a proud woman with a disability. I watched as our now president mocked reporter Serge Kovaleski for involuntary muscle movement. I will never stay silent when bulling and discrimination occurs. I support the march to show those with disabilities that I will rebuke bullying in any form. Third, one of my mom’s life-long friends just married her partner. Our President, and many congress members, do not support the progression we’ve made regarding marriage equality. I am beyond fearful. Will we lose all the progress that I am so proud of as an ally? I march to show the LGBT+ community that I stand in solidarity with them. My hope is love will conquer any darkness. Equality for all WILL win. My hope is that this movement will open and soften the hearts of those who support close-minded groups and causes. God (no matter your religious affiliation) loves everyone. To me the women's march is people vowing to stand up against darkness; brave and unafraid.”

Katie Robinson:I march for my daughter. I want her to be a woman in a world that isn't saturated in patriarchy. I march for my mom, who can't march for herself. I march for a woman's right to choose what is done with her body. I march for people to be able to pee wherever they want. I march for love being love, no matter orientation or gender. I march for the people in Flint who don't have clean water. I march for Standing Rock and for Sandra Bland. I march for all those who have been done injustices at the hands of a corrupt government and society.”

Courtney Lucas:“I went for a few reasons. It's important for me to make it known that I matter and my voice matters. There are lots of things that they're talking about changing that just aren't okay. This was a peaceful way to show we want to have a say in things too. I have seen a lot of people saying that it was an "anti-Trump" march and it really wasn't. I really hope he does a great job and I hope that he makes good changes. But he's not the only person that can make changes. People can make small changes, be the good they want to see in the world, and do things starting in their own communities. I personally went to show support to people I care about. To show them that they're not alone. That I will stand up for them when they need it. A lot of things they're talking about changing can drastically affect a lot of people I care about. From the affordable healthcare act, to wanting to close planned parenthood, to wanting to change laws for LGBTQ, to making it okay for businesses to turn away the disabled... these things are not okay with me. It's not just the women's rights, it's everyone's. Mostly, I wanted to support people and to let my voice and theirs matter...just because we are one person doesn't mean we can't make a difference. People sticking together and standing up for what they believe in is something our country is built on. It changes things.”

Kasey Susits: “I support the Women's March because I am devastated that our newly elected president is lacking a moral compass. Because it isn't just for women, it's for anyone who doesn't feel represented by the current political establishment. It's for anyone who is fearful of what the world will become under his leadership. It's for fighting for equality for everyone. It's to teach my daughters that it is okay to be informed and have opinions and express opinions and fight for equality regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation. I want to teach them that it is okay to care about the environment and believe in the separation of church and state and fight for marriage equality and a woman's right to choose and still be a Christian. I want them to know you can challenge the government and still be patriotic. There are many people who don't believe those things to be true, but they are and it's okay to fight to be heard.”

Jennifer Gardner: “In America, the amount of female citizens outnumber the male, but rights are still not equal. The newest administration has already revoked healthcare discrimination protection for women, as well as access to birth control for lower income families. I am a woman. I am an American. I support equality. For these reasons, the women’s march meant a lot to me. Proving we are strong, not silenced by the hardships faced, was empowering and inspiring, not only to our continued fight against injustice, but to future generations.”

Bri Beck: “I march because within the marginalized peoples of this nation, lies the greatest of strength. Donald Trump's vision for this nation is one that will greatly move us backwards. It is a preservation of the past - a dark past that oppressed women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and those with disabilities. When you group these communities together, they greatly outnumber the demographic Trump's administration wishes to cater to. As someone that is physically disabled and works in mental health, I greatly understand how societal structures such as the kind Trump wishes to uphold and implement, drastically contribute to poor overall well-being for many. I march because he believes in individual success and power vs. collective success and harmony. Our world today isn't hungry for wealth and power, but progress, understanding, and compassion. He is the least prepared for the job than any president in this nation and I fear his four years in the White House will be an incredible detriment to this country.”

Rebekah Wilcox: “’I don't think society has ever made me feel like less of a person so I don't believe in this march’ like? It's about hearing women's stories of being made to feel less than in the work place and about getting paid less for the same work. It's about closing clinics that help women's health. It's about trying to control what women do with their bodies. It's about constantly being judged on your appearance instead of your work. It's about being told to lose weight and look a certain way because that's all you're ever going to offer. We have come so far and I thank every woman who fought for the rights I have. But we still have so far to go.”

Aly Edmondson: "Without question, the person who has been sworn in as our 45th president does not represent what America is, and has not shown us he can lead this country with respect and compassion for all the people who live within it. Our president needs to know that we will not tolerate his bigotry, xenophobia, homophobia, ableism, racism, sexism, or any other behavior that hurts the people he is supposed to protect; this also applies to the individuals he wants to add to his cabinet. I marched for my own future as a woman and for my fellow women, but I also marched for my family that still decided to vote for him. My family who, unfortunately, will now be directly and negatively affected by the upcoming plans of the current presidency. We deserve better."

Iva Largent:I didn't march but I absolutely supported it. It was glorified in America but it really happened in 169 countries, that blows my mind and makes me so proud. I support it because it was peaceful during a time of so much violence and women marched for so many different reasons from sexual reproduction rights to environmental awareness. I think the knowledge of things that are going on in the world is very important for the people it affects and for those it does not. I am highly against the new insurance issues with birth control. Women have a right to it. People argue that it’s affordable but what they don't know is if insurance doesn't cover the birth control they aren't going to cover the doctor appointments for it, the pap smears, or the pregnancy tests. That's going to run in the high hundreds. Some doctors don't even offer treatments or medication that isn't covered by insurance. I think that is a big deal. I feel like a lot of things going against people these days are all based on religious principles. I firmly believe in the separation of church and state. I have seen so much hate about all these people marching for the right to "kill their babies" and it hurts because that's not what it was about. I would have marched for awareness in total!”

Keely Messino:I feel like we need to let the Trump know what we worry and think about. I supported it because it's important that female health and well-being are very important to our nation. Too many people in politics are focused on pro-life or pro-choice when we fear so many other things, including the ability to report assaults and wage gaps.”

Barb Reeves: “The march was for human rights, which includes healthcare among other things. This march was important and it got people talking, thinking, and hopeful taking action to make a difference. Most peaceful, loving environment ever!”

Donelle Henderlong: “I supported the march for a variety of reasons and took part in a variety of ways. I did a local march physically and did a "virtual" disability march. My main reason for marching was to show Trump and Pence that, as a woman with a disability, I am not going anywhere and they cannot and will not speak for me. Trump has been degrading towards people with disabilities among many others. Pence has not made it easy for people with disabilities to be employed and get the benefits they need. As a woman, the fact that our country selects a leader who they know uttered the words "Grab her by the pussy" is despicable. I also marched in honor of fair treatment for the LGBT+ community, women's reproductive health, education, fair wages, women who can't march in third world countries, and really everybody. I don't think there is a soul in the world feminism doesn't apply to. It acts in the best interests of everyone. And the cool thing about the marches around the world was everyone came for different reasons, but we were all there for the same thing.”