Makeup Isn't About Having Low Self-Esteem

Here's a little letter for all the people who keep letting me know that "you don't need makeup" and those who say "you shouldn't be ashamed of how you look."

Here is the shocking truth: I know, and I am not.

I know a lot of people that think I wear makeup because I am insecure or want to look like the "other girls." But here's the catch, you're wrong. I'm not trying to impress anyone or anything along those lines. So please listen to what I have to say, because apparently no one can seem to understand the truth of why I use make up.

We live in a world where beauty is materialistic and not healthy for the average person to achieve. I'm not ever going to be a size zero or wear a 32C bra and have the perfect body, and I am okay with that.

What happened to the times where photoshopping didn't exist? What happened to the times where curves were acceptable and you weren't judged for them? Self esteem is how you feel about yourself. But in society today, there are so many different reasons for why you may not feel confident about yourself.

I have accepted the fact that I don't have perfect complexion or the perfect physique or body. But I also do know that there is more than a pretty face behind everyone. It's called personality and character. Wearing makeup doesn't mean you're trying to hide it. It might give you more confidence or self worth. But people don't think about that before they jump to conclusions and think you aren't confident in your own skin. Chances are, whatever flaws they are pointing out about you, they are self conscious about themselves.

I personally wear makeup because I love doing it and trying different things with different products. I watch a lot of video tutorials, Pinterest different ways to do make up and buy a lot of it. It's not that I have a low self esteem or I feel bad about myself, because I have neither. Do I feel more beautiful with makeup on? Yes. But don't you feel good about yourself when you get dressed up and someone tells you that you look nice?

I don't always need to hear that my makeup is looking good or what not. I am happy with who I am and just because I wear makeup, doesn't mean that I don't feel good about myself without it on. I'm getting tired of people always assuming that there is something wrong with an individual because they are doing something that they want to do.

Happiness is found when you stop comparing yourself to others. It's time to stop jumping to conclusions, no matter what the situation is, and accept everyone for who they are, not who you want them to be.