Why I Love The City Of Angels

Why I Love The City Of Angels

I am an Angeleno and I am proud to be one.

6
Why I Love The City Of Angels
Sarah Pineda

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. Every weekend growing up, my family would go to LA to experience a new part of the city. I remember my mom driving us to the newest museums growing up, to make sure we were being exposed to different cultures. We went on hikes, out to eat, shopped around popular shopping centers and just enjoyed the city.

Recently, I went hiking with my family and my uncle’s family at Griffith Park. I’ve hiked around Griffith Park numerous times, successfully reaching the top of the mountain, taking pictures from the bottom of the Hollywood sign and running side-by-side with the horses. My athletically driven family (not including myself, sorry I just enjoy my naps and Netflix binge watching) pushed me to complete this seven-or-so mile hike.

We started from across the Greek Theater; the same theater I went for my first Demi Lovato concert (it was a phase) and years later saw Lorde perform at. We began climbing up the mountain, with my younger cousins, brother and I in the lead, and the adults trailing behind. My brother Matthew and cousin Raquel are 17-years-old while my younger cousin Andrew is 11. All three holding a special place in my heart, I couldn’t help but smile through the heavy breathing.

We reached a certain point on the flat of a hill where we took a break. Overlooking Burbank, I saw towering grey buildings followed by the freeways. I know people criticize LA for not being so green or filled with nature, but then again, it does take some form of nature for being a concrete jungle. Looking at these buildings remind me of when my mom used to work at the Bank of America building in Downtown LA. She would take me to work with her when I was small, and I would run around the desks and pretend to answer the phones. She used to work on the 19th floor, but it might as well have been the 100th floor as I stared down from the windows and across to the other buildings in awe.

We continued hiking, this time all uphill. The burning sensation from my legs couldn’t stop me from reaching my goal to the top. With my brother in the lead, my uncle and cousins in second place, I made my way up to third place, with my parents close behind. As the prepared person my mom is, she brought cut up oranges for all of us to eat. Re-energizing us, we continued and reached the outlook of all of LA. Although it was a bit cloudy, I was able to make out the buildings, the roads, and simply just take in the beauty of the city. I love LA. I couldn’t image myself living anywhere else. The city is alive with such rich culture and fascinating people — why go anywhere else?

After the hike, I took my family to go eat at the newest Shake Shack on Hollywood Blvd. and afterwards got some green juices from Pressed Juicery. We walked on the stars, something I’m so used to, as I enjoyed this time with my family. Afterwards, it started raining. Raining in LA? Definitely a rare sight, but God was being kind and blessing the thirsty land with some water. My uncle decided to show us where him and my mom’s family had grown up. Taking us to their first houses, and apartments in Hollywood, my uncle began telling us stories about their childhood. He told us about coming straight to LA from Guatemala, and having to undergoing the struggles of being an immigrant in a place where English was so foreign to them. My uncle and dad showed us the arcade they used to go to, the markets on the corner they used to shop at and the tough walks home from school. Being able to grow and discover new places in the same city my parents grew up in, gives me a sense of pride.

I am an Angeleno and I am proud to be one. LA is my home, and will always be.