Why I Love My Grandparents

Sometimes, I find myself feeling like I am not giving enough thanks to the people in my life who go above and beyond to make life better for me. I feel ungrateful sometimes because I feel like I am often forgetting to thank people for doing things for me that they most certainly do not have to do. When I think about all of the people in my life who do so many things for me without thinking twice about it, there are two people who stick out the most. Those two people are my grandparents, and I can not begin to thank them enough for everything that they have done for me.

My grandparents have been giving me things and helping me with things since I was born. So many times, I would leave their house feeling like I did not thank them enough. I can not even begin to count the number of times that I left their house with several grocery bags filled with food.

One of the biggest gifts that I have gotten from my grandparents was my car! My grandma needed a new car to meet her physical needs, and instead of trying to sell the car, she offered it to me. I am so grateful for this because without her, I do not believe I would be driving today. Even before she gave me the car, my grandpa would invite me over to give me driving lessons. Without him helping me learn to drive, I would not even be able to use that car. Even now, they help me with my car. One example is when my grandpa called me and asked me to come to his house. I did not ask questions. I, simply, followed his directions. When I got to his house, he had buckets of soap and water. He wanted me to come up to check my oil and wash my car! It was so unexpected, but he wanted to make sure my car was up to par with what it needed to be. There was also a time when I light came on in my car when I was at school, and I didn’t know what to do. He came up that weekend, and drove around for half an hour until he could find the right fluids to fix my car. My favorite story to tell people about what my grandpa did for me was when I woke up and went to drive my car, and there was an envelope tucked into the steering wheel cover. I was shocked to find money and a note that he had used the spare key to take my car out to fill it with gas.

My grandparents are also so supportive when it comes to my activities. My grandparents came to every color guard competition when I was in middle school and high school, and they do their bests to make it to my competitions, today. Even though health troubles keep them away, sometimes, that doesn’t stop them from watching my shows on Facebook.

They are, also, super supportive of my writing. They always want to know what I am writing next. They have nothing but kind words and constantly encourage me to continue writing.

One tradition that my grandma has made is making me anything I want to eat for my birthday dinner. She does this every year because my birthday is in December, and there isn’t much I can do. I am so grateful for this, not only because she lets me have my choice, but because her birthday is the day after mine, and we celebrate our birthdays together. She works endlessly to make my birthday special, even though it is her birthday celebration too!

My grandparents are so amazing. I talk to people who have known them for years, and they will frequently remind me what amazing people they are. People who have just met them would say the same thing. I can only hope to become the same kinds of people that they are. I want to be that selfless. I want to make people smile the way they make me smile. I want to make people feel good about themselves. I love my grandparents. They are the kind of people that I want to be. Thank you both for being such an amazing support system. I love you both so much. No amount of thanks will ever be good enough to show you both how much I appreciate you.