Why I Love Disney

Why I Love Disney

Disney is more than entertainment.

109
Why I Love Disney
Catherine Graff

I have officially returned from Disney, and just like always, it was an emotional trip. Disney has been a big part of my life just as it is for a lot of people, but like anything, there are those who do not understand why so many of us love Disney with our entire being. For those who question our love of an entertainment company, I just want to explain its importance to a Disney fan.

Disney is more than just a company. It is a way of life. It teaches life lessons to kids in ways that they can easily understand. "Zootopia" recently came out in theaters and is a perfect example of this. It takes the issue of racism and explains it to kids in the form of animals. The predators are viewed as the strong species and have power over the prey, the weaker species. However, Judy Hopps proves that prey can be just as strong by being the first bunny cop. But just as in any society, there is the stereotype of predators being mean and violent, so when animals start attacking each other, the prey assume it is biology, because that is what predators do. This movie perfectly captures the problems society is facing today and tries to explain to kids that stereotyping is wrong. Kids love animals, and they connect more to animals or superheroes than to people at the age most of them would be watching this movie. We all get very emotional when a dog in a movie gets hurt or dies, sometimes even more so than if a person did. So of course a movie about animals being separated and cruel to each other because of their species is going to impact our subconscious even more than a princess movie.

Adults can appreciate the beauty of the messages and the movies just the same. As with any movie, there are many messages that are given in Disney movies. Some of these messages go over kids’ heads, but adults pick them out easily. My favorite example is "The Incredibles." I never caught it when I was little, but now I understand why Helen Parr was so mad at Bob: she thought he was having an affair. However, anyone watching the movie knows he was not. The only thing he was guilty of was wanting the good old crime-fighting days back. But little kids are not going to understand what Disney is trying to say: trust each other. Helen and Bob’s marriage is a little rocky, and part of it stems from trust. They do not talk often, and Bob clearly hates his job, but does not express it to Helen. Of course she is going to get suspicious when he suddenly becomes really happy and she later finds a woman’s hair on his jacket. If they had been more open to each other and communicated, she would be more trusting of his actions.

Values are an important theme in Disney movies and make the story-lines interesting. Parents would not show their kids movies if they could not learn from them. Every movie has some sort of value it wants to share. "Frozen" explains the strength of familial love and the bond between siblings. "Tangled" promotes chasing your dreams and not letting anyone get in the way of them. "Beauty and the Beast" shows how being different is not a bad thing and you should not let anyone crush your spirit. "Lilo and Stitch" shows how no matter how different you are, you will always find a family and a home that accepts you for who you are. All of these and more are messages everyone needs to hear throughout their life. Everyone has a moment when they fear they will never find love, but you can watch "The Little Mermaid" and see that your true love might be someone you never expected. You might be upset for a reason you do not understand, but if you watch "Inside Out," it might be because Sadness is touching things she should not be touching again.

And of course, Walt Disney World is always an amazing place, and I love it for all sorts of reasons. It is a vacation which is always needed. You can sing Disney songs and for the most part you will not be judged. I can meet Mickey Mouse 10 times a day, and it gets better and better every time I do. But there is something else, and that is the family part. Having done the college program, I know firsthand that family is something found all over the park. I have my Dinoland family, my Trains family, my Transtar horror stories family, my Ohana group and my family family. Disney brings everyone together. I have not seen the community Disney has anywhere else. People look out for each other and will make you feel better instantly if you are having a bad day. I know my friends will always be up for "Fantastic!" if I tell them I had a stressful day at work. Or anyone on the Transtar bus will gladly tell a funny story about their worst experience on the buses if we are all scared for our lives. And just going into the breakroom in Dinoland is a guaranteed fun experience. Something is always happening there.

But my favorite memories always come from family vacations we have at the parks or simply watching a Disney movie at home. We always go see new Disney movies in theaters together as a family; it is a tradition I love and always look forward to. I can listen to Disney songs on repeat and usually not get a complaint. Our house is decorated in Disney pictures (can you tell we love Disney?) I have grown up with Disney and the values it teaches people. I am so thankful that my parents love Disney as much as I do and wanted to share its love with me and my brother. I believe that Disney is an important company and has so much to share with the world. It is more than entertainment, and they have found a way to share messages in a beautiful way. This is why I love Disney so much.