Why Long Distance Friends Can Be The Best Of Friends

You’d be surprised at how great a long distance friendship is.

153
Wallpaper Cave
The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. -Unknown

Normally when people talk about their best friends, they talk about someone they see every day and don’t go long without seeing them. When I talk about my best friend, I talk about someone who lives about 2 hours away from me and I rarely get to see. When I met her at college orientation the summer before freshman year started, I didn’t think I’d end up being the best of friends with her but we just fit together like a puzzle piece. I think it’s great having a long distance friend.

They give you a reason to travel.

I love visiting my best friend because I get to leave home for a little bit. Her family is like a second family to me and it’s nice to be in new surroundings every once in a while. Having a best friend that lives nowhere near you is a great reason to travel, if for nothing else. Who doesn’t love going to a new town or city every so often.

They give you a break from life.

Sometimes when everything in life is hectic and you just need to drop everything and take a break. Having a long distance best friend is great for that. You get to just have some time of peace and fun away from adulting. Because what adult doesn't need a break from adulting? I know I do.

They help build trust.

It’s hard a have a long distance relationship, regardless of if it’s dating or a friendship. Having a long distance best friend gives you the ability to learn to trust another person who won’t always be around. It will help build a strong bond between the two parties and create a life long friendship.

They constantly have your back and support you from afar.

When something happens, Taylor is usually the first person I tell. If it’s something not good, she’ll do whatever she can to help and make me feel better. She’s always there, even though it’s not physically. She always offers to fight someone for me, even though we both know I wouldn’t want her to. She would do anything for me and me for her. She is my biggest fan and supporter. She helps me believe in myself, especially in times when I lack the most faith.

They help you expand your world knowledge.

There is more to the world than what we see in our own towns and cities. Have a long distance best friend in a different part of the world can help you understand things from different perspectives other than what you’ve been exposed to. Connecting with someone who has a different culture and a different outlook on life is very enlightening.

I never thought this random girl from 2 hours away that I met in a small town of Southwest Virginia would become my best friend and a life long one at that. I don’t have many close friends and can’t seem to get rid of this one. She stuck to me like glue and I’m so happy and blessed she did because there’s only one of her and she’s my best friend. If you have a hard time trusting people who are around you, try meeting someone who lives in a different area. Learn about their culture, life, and country. You’d be surprised at how great a long distance friendship is.