How My Boyfriend Changed Me For The Better

Read the article, it's not what you think.

2554
Kayla Parks

Okay, so now that you’ve read the title, you’re here. Well, let me explain to you what I mean by saying I let my boyfriend change me.

Mostly we hear about how women change men. How they make them better and change them from a boy to a man. My mom has even told me that sometimes men just need a little nudge in the right direction or some classical conditioning and that may or may not be true, but you never really hear about a man changing a woman.

I’m not the same person I was when I started to date Patrick. He’s changed me so much in a little less than two years and I’m happy for it. I’ve changed for the better.

He’s made me put in more effort. Before dating him I just didn’t care for relationships, I had been in them, but I didn’t try. It was more of a I’ll see you when I see you type of relationship, but with Patrick I started to care. I’ve driven a ton of miles, spent hours helping him study for subjects over my head, and spent freezing cold nights watching him play lacrosse and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

I’m more comfortable in my own skin. I’ve never really cared what people thought of me, but with him I just feel comfortable. I know that I don’t need someone to tell me I’m beautiful, but having someone tell me I’m beautiful while I’m wearing ragged sweats, my hair isn’t washed, and not a trace of makeup on is probably the best thing in the world.

He’s made me nerdy. Before him, I had seen a few of the "Star Wars" movies and the only thing I knew about Pokemon was that there were cards, but here I am laying out my outfit for the "Rogue One" premiere and his Christmas present to me was a new 3DS and the new Pokemon game. He’s let me into his little world and he’s included me in his favorite things and I couldn’t ask for anything more.

The list goes on and on, but the moral of this story is Pat changed me, but he has no idea that he did any of this and I had no problem letting any of this happen. He doesn’t know that he’s made me feel more like me than I’ve ever felt before. I’ve always been the sarcastic, challenging, laid back me I’ll always be, but with him in my life now I feel more comfortable, more willing to go the extra mile, and more loving than I ever have in my life.

I think that’s when you know you found the person you’re meant for, when they change your life for the better and make you wonder how you ever got through life without them.