Why You Should Keep a Journal

Why You Should Keep a Journal

I keep a journal, you definitely should too
2

If you don't already keep a journal, you definitely should. I have been consistently writing in a journal since I was in first grade, and it has gotten me through many interesting times of my life. This might sound weird, but when I write in my journal after a long day, it feels as though I am talking with an old friend. No matter what I am going through at the moment, I can write in my journal and it will make me feel better.

When I was young, I would journal every single day. I would write about what I had for lunch that day or what the hot gossip was at swim team practice. I looked at my old journal recently and it made me laugh. Everything was so simple then and I sometimes wish I could go back to those days. But it does make me realize how much I have grown up and matured in so many ways.

There is something incredibly cathartic about writing in a journal. I like to write in it at night before I go to bed while listening to music. When I lay down and can't sleep, writing down the thoughts that are troubling my mind usually helps. Although I now don't have the time to write in it every day, I do it when I really need to, and just want some thoughts out of my head.

My journal now consists of more complex issues of my daily life. I talk about friends, relationships, school, and other situations that I am going through. I usually only write in it when I am sad about something or need advice that I know my journal will not give me, but write it in anyway. I write anything that I am feeling. I write Bible verses, song lyrics that I like, song lyrics that I write myself, or just rants about something that bothered me that day. It relaxes me more than anything else could.

I recommend that everyone keep a journal. It is helpful for when life gets stressful, or when you just need to vent but do not feel like talking.

Next time you are out, treat yourself to a cutely decorated journal and see how much it changes your outlook on life to write in it!