Why It's So Important To Be A Shoulder For Your Friend To Cry On

And How It Could Save Someone's Life
988

Everyone has that one friend that they can go to when they're feeling blue when they want to spill their problems and feel better about themselves. I have friends like that, and I am extremely grateful for them. I don't know what I would do without them. In fact, recently I went to one of my friends and poured my heart out to her. I sat across from her while I popped a few miniature Hershey bars into my mouth and just ranted to her about a variety of things. It felt really good to get it all out, and it felt even better to know that she was there for me and listened to everything I had to say. Afterwards, she gave me a hug and told me that everything would be okay. The reason I am telling any and all of you that read this about my personal experiences is to not only tell you that it's okay for you to go through the same thing but to also encourage you to be the shoulder to cry on for other people, too.

For a friend to come up to you and ask if they can talk to you about something that is wrong with them is an incredibly vulnerable action. It sometimes takes a great deal of strength to go up to someone and share your troubles with them. It might even be incredibly painful for them, too. Due to this, if one of your friends comes up to you with a personal issue, you need to listen to them. It is so important that you help provide as much comfort and stability that you can for that person because you really don't know what they're going for. Heaven forbid, your friend might be contemplating taking their life and your support could be the reason that he or she doesn't. This isn't always the case, but it definitely happens. It is also important to listen to the woes of your friend because it shows them that you really care and want to help them through whatever difficult time they are going through, and it might end up saving or drastically impacting their life.

There's also the fact that your friend might not have anyone else to go to. If that is the case, then it's extremely important that you be their rock. If you're all they have, then that means you are probably immensely important to them. Should you turn them away or treat them badly, then that might ruin them. There's also the possibility that your friend might not trust anyone else and you may be the only person that they trust to confide in, vent to, etc. and if you break that trust in any way, then that could have an ill effect on their life. How would you feel if you found someone that you really loved, really trusted, and then they betrayed you. I, for one, think that I would be devastated. Actually, no, I don't think I would be devastated. I know I would because that has happened to me before. Please, don't betray your friend's trust, it isn't worth it.

Finally, if you are there for someone and you put your all into helping them, then, chances are, they'll be there for you. Mutual friendship, trust, and respect for one another is so important for a healthy relationship. Based on personal experience, I know quite well what happens when a friendship is not filled with these things: it falls apart. The bottom line is if you really, really want someone to be there for you, you need to be there for them.