Why It's Okay To Cry

Why It's Okay To Cry

And why it's not okay to tell people not to.
681

People are full of various emotions, and each person presents these emotions in different ways. Many of these emotions can be accompanied with tears, whether that be anger, sadness, happiness or pure bliss ... But just as everyone expresses emotions in different ways, everyone also cries over different reasons and in various increments. Some cry over the most simplistic life events while others cannot recall the last time they shed a tear. No matter how often you may feel the need to cry, understand that it is always okay to just let it all out.

Too often people tell others "don't cry." But this is a message that we should not be spreading to others. Crying is a way to let out any stresses that may be building up inside. Whether that be negative or positive, sometimes we just need to let these stressors out, and this may include through tears. When people are told not to cry, they in return bottle up all these stressors. When all those get to be too much, it can result in a mental breakdown that is a lot worse than if they would have let out the stressors when they first occurred. They continue to carry on this weight because they were told not to cry, and the weight soon becomes too much to carry. Therefore, if you need to cry to let out these stressors, then cry! Don't bottle it up until it becomes too much to handle.

Sometimes people cannot hold back their tears. When they begin to feel them coming, it is hard to make them stop. They begin to well up and your bodies natural response is to let them out, so do just that. Do not try to stop what your body is naturally trying to do. Your body knows that you are in distress, and therefore you should let your body do what it needs to do to destress. If this includes balling your eyes out, then let it happen. You will feel better in the end after a good cry.

Finally, your crying is not physically harming anybody. Yes, it can make other people feel sad and pity for you, but they need to realize that if you feel like you need to cry, then it is for the best that you do. And if you are someone that cries just because a puppy walked by you, then that's perfectly fine. This is just apart of your personality, and your personality is what makes you you.

The lesson here is if you feel the need to cry, then by all means let it out! Do not keep it bottled up until you finally explode. This can be detrimental to your mental health. If you feel the tears coming on, then let them spill over. Do not try to hold them back. And finally your tears are doing no physical harm to others; understand that everyone cries and it is okay.

So when you need to cry, cry! Don't let anyone tell you not to do so.