Why I Am Not Sorry For Being A "Typical Girl"

It all started from the beginning.

118
Wonders of Disney

Being a girl can make life extremely difficult. From the moment we are born we are held to this standard that we are all supposed to be prim and proper ladies. We were dressed in pretty dresses and bows, allowed to play around with makeup and fingernail polish, and have our hair braided. Now don't get me wrong, I still love all those things. The point of this is for women to rise up against the social norm of being a "pretty lady" and being our own d*mn self. I personally will not be held to anyone's expectations because I know that I am more than just a stereotypical, 19 year-old female.

It started in the very beginning. Every parent is protective of their child and want nothing but the best for them. But what made it okay for them to allow little boys to do something rather than little girls? Little boys are supposed to get dirty, be mean, and play rough. What if that is what the little girl wants to do? She has every right to go play in the mud and have fun with the boys. A lot of times though, unfortunately, that's not the case. Mommy and Daddy's little princess will forever be just that, a princess.

In recent years, dress code has been a huge issue in girls' rights in the educational system. No shorts, no tank tops, no tight pants, no tight shirts, no bra straps showing, no holes in jeans, no leggings, etc. Why are women who are fully capable of making their own decisions being restricted to so many rules that are virtually futile in 2016. Girls are being shamed for their bodies (something they cannot control) for the sake of a boys mind. Now, there is a certain extent when it comes to clothing. No one needs to be walking around naked going to class and thinking everything is hunky dory– that is not okay. But what should be okay is that women should be able to chose what to wear without being ridiculed for it. Mommy and Daddy's little princess is being restrained yet again.

"You can't do this.." or " You can't do that..," just because you are a girl. Being denied rights and liberties as a woman is outrageous. Growing up in my household, my mom and dad didn't like when I would go places alone, or with just a group of girls, without any inclusion of males. Why? Because they were worried about my safety. Rape and kidnappings happen every single day. They don't want to have to go out and look for me because of someone who had taken me against my will. Parents shouldn't have to be afraid for their child's life. Being a girl puts you at a higher risk of any of those things happening to you. We all know that rape is not acceptable by any means whatsoever, but why does it always seem like it is the girl's fault? Her clothes were to revealing, she was drunk and flirtatious, she was asking for it. This ignites a fire within me because a girl who has been violated in any way should never have to think it is her fault, but it is what comes with being a girl right? Being told that it is your fault because you dressed how you want and were having a good time.

Girls are supposed to be wives and mothers in the future, or that is what society has made you believe. If you do not want kids than don't have any. You do not want to get married that's cool too. Do whatever makes you happy because honestly who cares about what anyone else thinks? The only opinion that matters is your own. If your straight, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, transgender or anything else that society finds out of the ordinary, screw them.

Be your own person. All of these restrictions that have been forced upon us since we were little girls no longer matter. Rise up and take a stand in what you believe is right. No one can force you to behave a certain way. You have your own personality, not your mom's personality or your dad's, but your own. So dress however you want, have fun however you want, live life with no restrictions or limits. We are all beautiful and have been put in the world for a reason, so whatever your destiny is go and fulfill it. Gender, sexuality, race, religion or anything else that prohibits you shouldn't stop you from being your individual self. Be happy with the way you were made and do not change to fit the social norms. We all started from the same place, little girls with dreams– now we are going to chase them.