Someone Please Tell Me Why Pornography is Legal

If prostitution is illegal, why isn't porn?

12390
SCN

The definition of pornography is “movies, pictures, magazines, etc., that show or describe naked people or sex in a very open and direct way in order to cause sexual excitement” according to Merriam-Webster dictionary. Similarly, in that same dictionary, prostitution is defined as “the act or practice of engaging in promiscuous sexual relations especially for money”. Interesting. Because if I so recall, prostitution is illegal yet pornography is legal (besides child porn). Since these two are so similar, in the sense of people having sex to make money, shouldn't pornography be illegal too?

Why is prostitution illegal but pornography not? Are they not ultimately the same thing? This is a question many Americans should be asking but aren't because it is too much of a touchy subject. In both instances, untimely a human being is being paid or forced to engage in sexual activity to please another person. However is not a sex actor the same? They are still being paid to have sex. Personally, as a 17-year-old girl who values her self-worth, I think pornography should be illegal.

Currently, the legal case for why Pornography is not illegal is because of the First Amendment. This amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” The argument is that pornography is a form of “self-expression” so therefore, it cannot be prohibited. However, porn has changed immensely since that excuse was first made. There are many problems with that reasoning.

First, many of the cases being made that debate this issue, are defending porn producers, not porn stars. It is so easy to make so, this industry is such a money maker. For example, “13,000 adult videos are produced annually, amassing over $13 billion dollars in profit. By comparison, Hollywood released 507 movies and made only 8.8 billion. (list25.com). Because the directors and producers of porn are making a boat load of money, they are fighting to keep it legal. Unfortunately, they don't have to fight too hard, because people and politicians have become numb to the damage caused by it and have not fought for it to become illegal recently.

Second, Porn has become way more accessible. According to the Huffington Post, "Porn Sites Get More Visitors Each Month Than Netflix, Amazon And Twitter Combined”. Even individuals who don't want to see porn, can so easily accidentally stumble upon it through ads and pop-ups. At first, when the legal case of porn was being debated, porn was hard to access. It was difficult for young teens to come across it, yet now it is being shoved in their face and being targeted towards them.

The main problem I see with the first amendment defending pornography is the fact that many of the court cases are being fought for by porn producers. No one is interviewing the porn stars. They say, it is the actors right to express herself but do the actors truly want it? I don't think so. Since porn stars are seen as actors and it is their job, aren't they protected? According to the Occupational Safety and health Act, “ensures that employers provide employees with a safe and healthy work environment free from recognized hazards, such as exposure to toxic chemicals, excessive noise levels, mechanical dangers, heat or cold stress, or unsanitary conditions.” (yourerc.com). A quote from a former porn star, Jersey Jaxin explains how that is not the case in the porn industry: “You’re viewed as an object and not as a human with a spirit. People do drugs because they can’t deal with the way they are being treated. Seventy-five percent [of porn performers] and rising are using drugs. Have to numb them. There are specific doctors in this industry that if you go in for a common cold they’ll give you Vicodin, Viagra, anything you want because all they care about is the money. You are a number. You’re bruised. You have black eyes. You’re ripped. You’re torn. You have your insides coming out.”

Pornography needs to be made illegal. There is too much proof that it is ruining our country and the people inside of it. From addiction to the rising rate of divorce, to women being mistreated in the films, to the there is so much wrong with it. The only way to solve this issue is to raise awareness about this problem. We need to educate ourselves and others on why this is so important to stop before it gets out of hand (if it is even possible to get more out of hand than it already is). We need to prove that the legality of porn is wrong and needs to be reconsidered. Share this. Fight for it. Do something to stop it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIxdnnxqK6o