Why Is It Hard To Be Yourself Over Social Media?

Express yourself. But can we express ourselves freely?

573
Rivaliq

We live in a society where we are encouraged to be the best we can be.

We live in a world where there are so many different people, opinions, and differences in general. Why is it then that we cannot be who we are when we are on social media?

Social media is a big part of who we are in today. Social media is an outlet to share what we like. It is a place to allow others to see us even when it is not in person. Why can we not then share our differences on social media platforms?

People say that differences make our universe special. If everyone has their own opinions, they will not be brainwashed to have the same. If everyone has the same talent then how will anyone know what is special and what is not? If everyone has their own opinion it makes them unique.

Now, take a minute to think about this.

Think about your opinions. Are you one of those people who share your opinions on Facebook? If you are one of those people do you post it to create conflict? Or do you post it just so you can argue with everyone who does not share the same opinion as you? Or do you post it to be yourself?

Everyone has their own differences. So how do we know who is right and who is wrong? How can you honestly sit and base your opinion of people on their opinions? How can you do the basic post of "unfriend me if you don't like what you see?" How can you sit there and tear someone apart because of what they think?

You call people ignorant if they believe in the opposing part of the argument. You call people stupid if they confess what they believe (of course only if they do not say what you want to hear).

Newsflash!

The reason that this world is so unique is because of people and their opinions. It is unique because not everyone has the same talents, skills, and abilities. It is unique because people are different.

It is so hard to be yourself because people will judge you if you are not "what they want". It is hard to be yourself because we are scared to share what we think for fear of what someone else will think of us. Will we lose our friends over this post? Will so and so be mad because it is not what they want? Will people judge me because of my opinion?

Who cares?

It is time to rise above. It is time to be ourselves. It is time to respect others opinions because that is what makes everyone so unique. It is time to stop degrading people. We live in a world where we have the freedom of speech. We have the opportunity to be who we are.

So stop being rude to people on social media based on their opinions. Stop trying to create conflict. Put your own thoughts aside and see it from someone else's perspective because that is why they posted what they did.