Why I'm Tired Of Being Hit On

Why I'm Tired Of Being Hit On

A note about feminism.

559
Why I'm Tired Of Being Hit On
The Huffington Post

When I was 11 years old, I used to walk to the local YMCA from school every day. My parents had decided that I was old enough to brave the three blocks from the middle school to the YMCA near my apartment complex and hang out in the lobby by myself until my mom could pick me up an hour later. On the way to the YMCA, I had to walk down a fairly busy street in the middle of my town. On one particular day, I was walking down the road at a brisk pace, Scooby Doo lunchbox in hand, and as I was turning the corner, a group of 20-something men in a passing car yelled at me "nice a**, b*tch." I am now the same age as the men who changed the way I thought about myself, and I wish I could say that was the last time.

Tina Fey, a woman who I idolize to a ridiculous level, is the author of one of my favorite books, "Bossypants." In the beginning of the book, she discusses her journey to becoming a woman, dealing with jerky bosses, catty classmates, and cheating boyfriends. One of my favorite lines in the book is when she writes something to the extent of "isn't it sad how part of being a woman in our country means that men shout vulgar things at you from cars on a regular basis?" As extreme as this sounds, this is a frighteningly true statement. Many people who claim to have issues with modern feminism actually have issues with historical feminism. They are frightened by change, and annoyed and intimidated that people who were once oppressed now move in mass numbers to facilitate political or social reform. A vast number of people have this twisted inclination to believe that those who identify themselves as feminists think that women are higher than men. On the contrary, the feminist movement and all issues involved are rooted in a core belief that men and women are equal. Men and women should have an equal opportunity to walk down the street without being whistled at. If you're trying to tell me that men are at the same risk, please just think about this. Because of this, I am a woman, I am a feminist, and I am sick of being hit on.

I guess the next thought you may be having is that I should be grateful for attention. I sound like a pompous "b-word" when I complain about any sort of come on. Let's just set the record straight. There is a pretty big leap from someone genuinely complimenting my personality, my smile, my heart, and someone calling me "sugar tits" or dancing on me without my permission. Make no mistake, this article is NOT designed to skewer men and only men. Women are equally guilty of sexism. So, I would like to address this as an open letter to men and women in regards to feminism.

There is a huge emphasis on racism in the media right now. And don't get me wrong, there is an undeniable problem when it comes to that. But if we're being real, women make up half of the world's population. They make up an equal half. They make up a significant part of "our people," which, in reality, our people aren't black, they aren't white, they aren't gay, they are simply that, people. There is no reason that we should treat other people any less than we would want to be treated. Where is our humanity? Men, why in the world should you subject women to any kind of subordinate treatment, when in other countries, and in what sometimes feels like a parallel universe, they could turn around and do the same exact thing? Women, we have the right to fight for equality; we are not asking too much, we are not stepping out of bounds, and we are not bitches. Women, however, are guilty of subjecting themselves to sexism.

We make jokes around men about rape, about remaining in our place (at home, with children), about being silenced by men. Consequently, we silence ourselves. We plant seeds in the minds that surround us, and absolutely no good can come from that. We subject ourselves to sexism every time we remain quiet when men speak crudely toward or about women. We silence ourselves more each time we let these things slide because we're simply "minding our own business." Truth is, when a group of people is oppressed, they band together; they become a family. They unite over the fact that they fall victim to harsh words or discriminatory actions of others. View other women as a reflection of yourself, as you would view your family, and never fear stepping in. Think about it this way; if you heard someone speaking about your actual family in those terms, wouldn't you say something? Men, imagine these other men are talking about your wife, your mother, your daughter. Make it your business.

There is a difference between flattery and cruelty. There is a difference between a display of affection and an invasion of personal space. I urge everyone to think twice about what they say, how they say it. I encourage everyone to view women in a different light than they did before. I plead everyone to refuse to be afraid of feminist attitudes. To fight for the women in your life, to fight for yourself. To not be wary of changing people's minds, of effecting the way they think. I am a feminist, I am a woman, and I am sick of being hit on.

Respect a woman in the same way you would respect a man.

"Women hold up half the sky." -Mao Tse-tung