Why I'm Thankful For My Older Brother

Why I'm Thankful For My Older Brother

He's stuck with me, and I'm stuck with him.

12
Why I'm Thankful For My Older Brother
Kaylin Parsons

My older brother is about to celebrate his 23rd birthday, and even though he's my parents' second favorite child, he's still a great older brother. The relationship between an older brother and younger sister is a special bond, and it's a different kind of relationship for every person. For me and my brother, it has always been a friendship. We might be complete opposites, and we don't agree on much, but that never stopped us from having a strong relationship. As a kid, I looked up to him; as a teenager, I followed him and as an adult, I admire him. It is difficult to sum up the many reasons I'm thankful for my brother, but since it's his birthday, I figured I would give it a shot.

For as long as I can remember, my brother has been a hard worker, and it's something I strive to live up to. I'm thankful he got good grades and got into a good school because it pushed me to work harder. Not only did he help me with grades, but he also inspired me to pursue music. Since he was older, he got to try everything first, and then I came along and copied him a couple of years later. I was so shy as a child, and I'm glad I could see my brother try choir first before I did because it pushed me to try it. I'm thankful for all memories we have singing together. We auditioned for All-State together, we had concerts together and we were even in a musical together. Music is something we will always have in common, and I will always argue I'm more talented, but he also has a lot of talent himself.

When he grew up and went to college, I began to realize just how thankful I was to have an older brother. He helped me through high school and helped me transition into college. He helped me move into my dorm and even drove an extra two hours a couple of times just to drive me home when I was having car troubles. I'm thankful he's come to my concerts, musicals, plays and all the other big events I've had.

We don't really have a cliche relationship, and he was never that overprotective. However, if I ever needed it I have no doubt my older brother would stand up for me — and maybe even beat someone up. Thankfully we both never wanted that relationship, but we wanted exactly what we got. We got a friendship where we could talk about music, politics, problems and anything else we needed. I don't tell him this enough, but I'm thankful for my older brother because he is the longest friendship I've ever had. We've had more fights than most normal friendships, but no matter what, I know he's stuck with me, and I'm stuck with him. I wouldn't change our relationship at all.