Why I'm So Thankful For My Sorority

Why I'm So Thankful For My Sorority

Thanks for staying true and constant.

22
Why I'm So Thankful For My Sorority
Gamma Phi Beta

I don’t know if it’s the fact that we just had our Fall recruitment that’s making me this sentimental and all in my feels about my sorority, or maybe it’s that I just got to welcome over 80 new sisters to my home away from home. Whatever the reason may be, this past week I came to realize how proud and blessed I am to be in such a wonderful organization full of loving and supportive sisters.

Most people may associate a sorority as a group of cliché, basic girls who give fake laughs and smiles all for a quality picture on Instagram. Do we love Starbucks and other “basic” things? Well, yeah, but try to find any girl who doesn’t like Starbucks or over-sized T-shirts. Do we pose and take a million pictures to try to find the one that’s the most “Insta-worth?” All the time, but that’s because we’re obsessed with showing the world how much we are obsessed with each other.

Believe me, I was a skeptic before I went Greek. I didn’t understand what all the hype was about or how I could feel at home with over 200 girls who didn’t know anything about me. However, it’s nothing like the stereotype says. My sisterhood is more than the T-shirts or the hundreds of pictures taken at every event or social. It’s more than just wearing a couple of Greek letters that match the girl sitting next to me.

It’s having someone you can always count on to be a true and constant friend. It’s sleeping only 15 hours during a 72-hour period and not wanting to change a thing because there’s no one else you would rather do that with. It’s the random dance parties, the movie nights, the jam sessions, and spontaneous trips that make a sisterhood what it is. It’s having a shoulder to lean on during those rough times or having someone to hug because you haven’t seen your family in months.

Do we have disagreements or argue every now and then? Of course. It’s not humanly possible to get along with over 200 sisters every hour of every day, but we’re still sisters. We will still support and help each other in heartbeat. There have been times where they drive me insane and make me want me to pull my hair out but I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

What I really love is that we’re all different and unique in our own ways and that’s what I think makes a sisterhood so great. Our sisterhood wouldn’t be what it is if it wasn’t for all of the different women in it because they all bring something different to the chapter that makes it as great as it is. Because even though we may be so dissimilar we can still come together at the end of the day.

My sorority gave me a purpose in my college career that I am so thankful for. It allowed me to be a part of something that I know I will cherish and remember for forever. So, I guess I just want to say thank you to all of my beautiful sisters and my wonderful sorority. Thank you for the amazing memories I have created and all of the ones I will create in the future. Thank you for the lifelong friends and future bridesmaids. Thank you for making me feel so proud and thankful to represent the letters I wear every day.

I love you all to the crescent moon and back.