Why I'm Hooked On Fishing

Why I'm Hooked On Fishing

"Only dead fish go with the flow."

12
Why I'm Hooked On Fishing
Melanie Campbell

For my third birthday my dad gave me a fishing pole, a Zebco to be exact, and it was all down stream from there.

I still have that fishing pole. I will use it until I can't cast it anymore. The day I can no longer use it will be a sad day. It will break my heart more than any boy ever could. Now, you're probably wondering how someone could have that much of an attachment to something as simple as a fishing pole. Well, when someone who means a lot to you gives you something that ends up teaching you things more valuable that anything you learned in school, you kind of get attached.

Sure, learning how to read and count was pretty valuable, but there are somethings they don't teach you that are just as valuable.

There are lots of ways for someone to learn patience. I learned the virtue of patience through fishing. One day you might go out to the water and catch five fish in the first 20 minutes you're there. You could go back to the very same spot the next day and not even get a bite in the first hour. I have heard time and time again, "I don't know how you can just sit there waiting and never catch anything, don't you get bored?" I'd be lying if I said I never got bored while fishing, but who's to say you won't catch something if you wait just ten more minutes. It all comes down to patience ... and whether or not the fish are active.

Fishing has taught me to respect the land, water and wildlife. The land and waterways have changed so much over the years, and it really hasn't been for the better. There is so much trash and pollution. It makes me sick thinking that people can just dump their garbage and waste anywhere and not think twice about it. I must have missed the memo that littering was cool now. Please, clean up after yourselves, not only for the sake of the land and animals but for the rest of us who like to enjoy nature.

Have you ever thought about water and how powerful it really is? You probably learned about water's force in an Earth Science class, but I don't think you fully realize what it can do over time. Not only does it sustain an entire ecosystem but it also changes the land. The water is home to so many different organisms, both large and microscopic. The same substance that supports the life of a tiny amoeba can also cut a gorge between two mountains. That's pretty amazing, if you ask me. Throughout my many years of fishing I've have caught many different kinds of fish and have seen a variety of animals ... and bugs. I have also had the privilege of growing up next to a crick (or creek, whichever you prefer), so I have seen first hand how the constant flow of water changes its path.

Fishing has taught me so much more, but I'm going to end with this. Saying, "Here fishy fishy fishy," doesn't work. Just kidding, that's not what I'm ending with, but seriously that doesn't work. I have learned that it's great to go with the flow, it's the easy thing to do. However, sometimes you need to fight the current and travel up stream to get to the "honey hole" or something more worthwhile. Sure, you can settle for the easy path and go with the flow, but that might not get you what you truly want. Whether we are talking about fishing or getting the most out of life, sometimes you're going to have to go against the flow of things. Don't settle for something just because it's easy. Work hard for what you really want. I once stumbled upon a quote that said, "Only dead fish go with the flow." Please, don't be a "dead fish."

The lessons I've learned from fishing are countless. These are just some of the ones that are more important to me. I am not saying there are no other ways for you to learn these things, but I'm blessed that my father introduced me to fishing so many years ago. It has definitely shaped me into the person I am today, along with many other things. I am thankful for the bond it created between my dad and me, and for the lessons it has taught me. I am forever hooked on fishing.