Why I'm Glad To Be An Education Major

Why I'm Glad To Be An Education Major

Teaching for the joy, not the paycheck

10
Why I'm Glad To Be An Education Major
Teach UAE

Anytime I tell someone I'm going to school to be a teacher, they say, "Good for you, I couldn't do it." Or, "They don't make that much money, but at least you love what you'll do." Although these comments sound nice, they often feel like a dagger in the back. Yes, it is good for me. And yes, I am fully aware I won't make that much money. But what I've learned about life is that it isn't about money. It's about loving what you do. And whether you are going to make $50,000 or $150,000 you need to be happy with the path you're taking.

I know too many people who are going to college in a field they aren't 100 percent committed to in the hopes that when they get out they'll make money. But I'd rather take home less money on my pack check and a happy smile on my face from an enjoyed day at work than to come home feeling stressed or hating my job just for the check.

As a teacher, I won't be making that much money. But I also won't be working year-round. I get summers off to enjoy with family and friends or get another job for extra cash. I also get home anywhere between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. every day which gives me ample time to plan lessons, go for a run and do anything else I want to do with the rest of my day.

Along with all the breaks, I get to leave work when it's still bright outside; I also get to create my own lessons for my class. I'm not tied down to a specific regiment. Yes, I have to follow a daily schedule, and I have specific things I have to teach my students, but the ways in which I teach them are up to me. The openness and freedom I have are what keeps my imagination running wild.

When it comes to planning lessons, I also get to use arts and crafts. By this, I'm not saying they are random items without a purpose. They have a purpose; whether it's to promote fine motor or gross motor skills or give children the chance to feel different textures, they are learning — they're just doing it in a fun and engaging way, which in turn makes it more fun for me. We get to help them explore the wonders of the world in ways that make it not only fun for them, but fun for us too.

Aside from all the great perks of the job, the one that matters most is the pure happiness I get when a child learns something new because of me. After teaching many lessons in my clinical practice, it's such a remarkable feeling when a child learns a new, and vitally important concept because of what you're doing. I think as an education major I have learned to appreciate the little things. Such as when a child can add 2 + 2 because of a technique I taught him. Or when he or she learns an important event in American history after an activity I created just for them.

There are truly an infinite number of reasons why I love my major, and any negatives I have or ever will be told about my major will never add up to all the joys I get from the job — and the children.