I Love Being Gay And Wouldn't Change It, Even If I Could

Even though we've faced challenges and oppression, my sexuality is something that brings me joy. I didn't choose to be gay, but I wouldn't change it if I had the option.

196
Flickr

I was lying in bed one night watching YouTube videos when I came across a few that were strikingly similar to one another. They were all videos by gay men about things they didn't like about being gay. It seemed like an odd trend and I had some mixed feelings. On one hand, I don't necessarily like the idea of highlighting the negative parts of being gay. On the other hand, however, it's not my place to tell others how to feel about their experience.

I understand that some LGBTQ people still face oppression in America. Some LGBTQ youth still get kicked out of their homes for being who they are. You have religious indoctrination that makes some LGBTQ people think there's something wrong with them. Even though same sex marriage is legal in America, some religious folk still want to deny services to gay couples. Some businesses won't bake your wedding cake or do a floral arrangement. In places where Sharia Law is enforced, homosexuality is a punishable offense (sometimes by death). So I understand that for many people, it's still tough being openly gay.

But I do think there should be more of the alternative approach represented.When it comes to my sexuality, I lean towards the "glass is more half full" perspective. Andrew Neighbors and Davey Wavey have both made good videos discussing the positive sides of our sexuality. Heck, Davey Wavey's entire channel is devoted to showcasing it! So I guess I should be happy voices like theirs are being heard. I think this will give people who are living in more oppressive environments hope. Hope that you can be openly gay while being as liberated, happy, and sexual as you want.

I've always been a very sexual being. This is obviously one of the things I love about being gay. Even though my journey hasn't been easy, my sexual desires have always been something that brought me joy. Another thing I love about being gay is the ability to fall in love. To be in a serious relationship with another man is a wonderful thing. I often hear gay people say that homosexuality isn't a choice and if they could, they would be straight. While I agree that my sexuality isn't a choice, I wouldn't change it if I had the option to.

I'm sure you're thinking that the things I just mentioned aren't exclusive to gay people. Sure, you can experience great sex and a loving relationship if you're straight. But that's the whole point. When it comes to my sexuality, the only difference between straight men and myself is the fact that my attention is directed at other men. If I were straight, I would still be different from the "norm" that men are expected to fall into. I would still be the creative, pop music loving, effeminate man that I am. Despite what some may think, those stereotypical characteristics have nothing to do with my sexuality.

Yes, I've had to deal with bullying and overall harsh judgment due to my sexuality. However, I don't think it's healthy to change who you are to please other people. It's like when some gay men get mad at other gay men for being too sexual or stereotypical. There's an attitude that we should be on our best behavior as to not make it worse for ourselves. But even if we had the ability to change who we are, it wouldn't bring us real happiness. We might feel a temporary satisfaction, like a drug, but another insecurity will pop up. There would always be something about ourselves we would try to change. It's an unhealthy cycle we wouldn't be able to break.

Being attracted to the same sex isn't wrong. So the natural solution to people's prejudice isn't to change so they'll be more comfortable. It should be to rid them of their prejudice or at least decrease the amount of prejudice that exists. They're the ones with the problem, not me. If who I am makes me happy and it's all consensual, there's no reason to change it.