Why I Love and Hate Social Media

Why I Love and Hate Social Media

A perspective on the ups, downs, and freedoms of Social Media.

13
Phone, facebook, scrabble, social media
William Iven (Pixabay)

Side-note: The characters in this story and the plot itself are fake. However, the debate topic below is all factual.

"And done" I said, as I finished writing the last two words of my last blog post. I sighed with both a breath of relief and sadness. I had been writing my political views and opinions on Social Media for the past 4 years, and that has finally come to an end. What was my last piece you may ask, I titled it "The Freedoms Given by Social Media".

"While it is important to critique the fact that the President of the United States uses Twitter as an official platform to make government announcements, I find it weird that it is now unconstitutional for him to block users from his account. In precedent, this means that Twitter can be, and is used now as an official platform for government statements. Yet, what is Twitter's opinion on this? For Twitter is a private company, and so is their website, so can this social media platform fall under public law? To be honest, I think not" I wrote in my last blog.

About 1 day after I sent it in, I was just curious to check on how many views I had received, what I saw stunned me. I stared openly into the computer screen to see that my article had been viewed over 5,000 times in the past day. In fact, many people liked and commented on my article with "I agree!", and "You're so wrong!".

While I found it wrong and weird for the President of the US to use Twitter as a place to make his official statements, I didn't think it was right for Twitter to be treated as a public and official platform. Twitter is a private company, and they should be able to dictate their own rules and such within reason and without discrimination. Did I think the Court took an overstep in the recent case, yes.

However, as I would soon find out, many of my friends, and new boss, would disagree.

"How could you think that? It is so unconstitutional that he block American citizens just because they criticize him! This is a free country! When he does that, he is violating our freedom of speech!" my good friend Mark said.

"But Twitter is not a public platform run by the government, it is run by a private company, and I just don't think the same standards that are set in the public space, both online and physically, apply to Twitter in this case" I replied.

" I don't usually agree with Mark, but I do on this case. While it's not right for Twitter to be treated as a public space or area online, it is. And for the President to block people on Social Media, that prevents them from knowing important announcements too" my conservative friend said.

This unfortunately followed me to work as well.

"Hi Mike, so as you know, we have been very much looking forward to having you on board with us starting in June" my boss said.

"Yes, I've been looking forward to it too sir" I replied.

"However, unfortunately due to the outrage that was caused by your last article, we are going to have to let you go. Don't take it personally, but as a Democratic think tank, we can't have social media posts such as yours that has caused such an uproar" he said.

I told him I understood, hung up the phone, then continued walking along 5th avenue; "time to return this suit I guess" I told myself.

When I got back to my dorm apartment, I looked at my social media post one last time, and saw that the views had skyrocketed to over 20,000 views.

I wanted to be a successful political commentator, I wanted to be famous. I used my freedom to express my voice onto Social Media, and look what happened.

I closed my computer, then walked out of my apartment, down into the street.

Further Reading

Eichhorn "SOCIAL MEDIA COULD MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GROW UP"

Schneider and Polantz "Trump's Twitter blocking violates Constitution, appeals court rules"