Why Greek Life

Why Greek Life

Go Greek!

239
Why Greek Life
Taylor Robinson

In the news lately, there has been a lot of negative attention and news attached to Greek life. You may see me in my letters or post something about my sorority and wonder why I would be in such an organization. Well, I'm here to tell you why I choose Greek life and how it is the best thing to ever happen to me.

My sister was in a sorority when I was in high school and I used to think it was so lame and stupid. She would talk about her "sisters" and I would laugh because she already had real sisters, so why did she need a hundred new ones? Well, fast forward four years, when I found myself going through sorority recruitment.

When I came to college, I was so lonely and homesick. I wanted to leave Kent and go home because I had no friends and all I did was hang around my dorm. It was miserable. I decided to follow in my sister's footsteps and join Greek life. Going through the recruitment process was terrifying and such a stressful process, but in the end, it was so worth it.

I joined Sigma Sigma Sigma and it was the best decision I ever made. I can't lie, coming into the chapter, I was still nervous and shy. It took me a while to feel comfortable and like I could be myself, but I have grown so much from being a part of this chapter and the Greek community. This chapter has given me comfort and encouraged me to be who I am, every day.

I used to be shy and I never tried to make new friends. However, now I stand up to talk in front of over a hundred women every week and serve as an officer for this chapter. I became a big to two littles, I found best friends and I have grown more than I could have ever imagined. I've also taken part in raising money for my own amazing philanthropy as well as numerous other philanthropies in the Greek community.

So, why Greek life? Because being a part of Greek life has given me confidence, best friends that became family, empowerment and a chance to be part of something bigger than myself. My college experience and my life would not be what it is today without being a part of Greek life. The experiences and skills I have gained from this chapter and community has prepared me for the real world and motivated me to do bigger things. I've taken on leadership and roles on campus because of how my sisters motivate me. I feel happy and comfortable being myself for the first time in 21 years, because of Greek life.

Before you judge Greek life or sororities from what you've seen in the news recently, take a look at the bigger picture and remember Greek organizations also do amazing things for its members and community.