Why Going Home Is So Important in College

Home really is where the heart is.

59

This past weekend, Baylor University had its annual “Fall Break.” Granted, it’s only one Friday off from class, but we’ll take what we can get, am I right? I had the opportunity to drive home as I’m a proud Texas resident, and this three-day weekend proved to be one of the greatest blessings I could have ever received at this point in the semester.

During the school year, I am either in the depths of the science building or the library, and my life is a nonstop cycle of tests, quizzes, deadlines and lack of sleep. As much as I love school, sometimes it becomes a little bit too overwhelming.

While it is exciting to explore independence and freedom as a college student in your own apartment and in your own town, it can also become exhausting. The responsibilities never end and you wish you could just hit the pause button for a while.

Luckily, going home to my family is that pause button for me. I get to escape my apartment and my campus and my responsibilities for just a few days to revel in the comforts of home. Whether it’s the home-cooked meals or the ability to sleep in your own bed, going home never proves to be short of rejuvenating.

Over this past weekend, I had planned to get mounds of homework and studying done, but instead I spent time with my mom, my puppy, and my bed. While it may not have been the most productive in terms of college coursework, it was definitely productive for my own sanity and personal health.

Sometimes as college students, we have a tendency to neglect ourselves in exchange for excelling in school or trying to make ourselves the best candidate possible for medical school. I think it’s important to realize that we can only be the best versions of ourselves if we take care of ourselves.

Going home is so much more than just getting fed and sleeping in, it is about going back to a place of love and support that built you into the amazing human you are today. Your home is your foundation, and you wouldn’t be the strong, independent student you are today without that solid base.

Whenever I go home during the year, I am reminded of the immeasurable amount of love my family has for me and that it doesn’t matter what I’m going through in school, they will always be there for me.

My family will never leave my side, and through all of my trials and tribulations, they are there to keep me upright and keep me fighting.

I go home because I can escape my stressful routine and remember how blessed I am to have such a remarkable family that reminds me how capable, intelligent, and intentional I am. They remind me of my potential and my dreams and why I’m doing what I’m doing. They remind me why I sacrifice sleep for school and why I am working so hard.

So whether you’re starting college for the first time or you’re an upperclassmen, take every chance you get to go home and hug your family because I promise you that despite whatever may be happening in your life on campus, they are proud of you and they are there to support you.

“That's what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you're not so lovable.” ― Deb Caletti