Why I Gave Up My Letters

Why I Gave Up My Letters

I live for bid day.

4
Why I Gave Up My Letters
Sarah Senden

If you are a proud fraternity man or sorority woman, like me, you probably read the title of this article and cringed at the thought that anyone would willingly give up their letters. Never fear, it was only for 21 days and I got them back. I was a Pi Rho Chi recruitment counselor for my Greek community. It was more difficult than I imagined going in, but more rewarding than I could have dreamed of by the end.

The very idea of recruitment counselors is bizarre. It’s 14 women who love Greek life and their chapters so much that they are willing to not talk about them specifically or to them at all in the hopes of gaining more sisters in the community. But that’s just it, I love my sorority and community so much that I was willing to disaffiliate to go out in the world and seek out incredible women to join our organizations and make a difference. I get chills thinking about it every time.

To anyone who has thought about being on a Panhellenic recruitment team for their school, DO IT. I can’t tell you how much you will love it and wish you had done it sooner, but that’s the same with any sorority. You’ll never see it before you join, but it could be exactly what you needed in your life.

There is no way shape or form to accurately describe the joys that come with the life of a recruitment counselor. If I were to accurately try, it would be this: chanting, singing, curling irons, happy tears, ugly cries, gifts, new friendships, new hunnies, to many memes, and a months worth of incredible memories. But even that list doesn’t capture it. You go for a few weeks questioning why on Earth you signed up to not talk to some of your best friends until someone tells you that because of you, they found a sisterhood and organization that they love. You see them all run home on bid day overjoyed and genuinely happy and you know you made a difference. You realize that because you encouraged a shy freshman at orientation to step out of their box and give a look at Greek life, their life is forever changed for the better.

Nothing can beat that feeling.

Except maybe getting the chance to run home for a second time in your life to the sisterhood you know you love dearly and the waiting hug of your little.

To the new members that I helped find their way home, happy bid day!! Welcome to the sisterhoods that will change your life, the friendships that will last forever and memories you couldn’t imagine. I cannot wait to watch you grow in our chapter and as a person. You are so loved and welcomed and I am so glad you're home.