Why I Fell In Love With Montevallo

Why I Fell In Love With Montevallo

It's kind of a Montevallo thing.

41
Why I Fell In Love With Montevallo
www.montevallo.edu

I remember as a senior in high school, one of my teachers wanted all of us to tell where we were going after graduation. Some of us were going to University of North Alabama, University of Alabama Huntsville, University of Florida, Jacksonville State, University of Auburn, and of course, the University of Alabama. But when it came to me, I stated that I would be attending the University of Montevallo. Throughout my Senior Year, I was constantly asked why I chose Montevallo. Even though I was not yet a student at Montevallo, I was already acquainted with the university. But, looking back on it now, I have a stronger attitude as to why I chose, and fell in love with Montevallo.

1. It’s a small campus

When I was applying to different schools, I already knew that I wanted to attend a small university. During tours and orientation, I was amazed at how small the classrooms were. Since I graduated from a large high school, I was not use to a small campus. I had also heard from fellow students that you have a one-on-one interaction with your professors and students. I did not understand this until I began my first semester. The professors remember your name and your face.

2. Trippin’ On The Bricks

I remember my first time on the campus in the 10th grade. Something always amazed me about the bricks. They were so unique. Once I became a student, I fell even more in love with them. However, at times they have caused a few tripping accidents. But they make me love the campus so much more.

3. History

When you enter the town of Montevallo, it is like entering a whole new world. It holds such a historical atmosphere. The traditions and legends are so captivating and really show what a charming campus is is.

4. The Student Body

Coming into college, I always wanted to join a sorority. I had heard that Greek life at Montevallo was a world of it’s own. I did not really understand once I joined. I have never met so many people from so many different organizations that all join together to create a community, and a family. All the different clubs and organizations come together to build Montevallo, especially the Purples and Golds.

5. College Night

What a tradition it is. Everyone who knows or has visited Montevallo has heard about College Night. It is a tradition where the student body chooses a side (Purple or Gold) and once they've done so the sides compete against each other in different sports like frisbee, volleyball, and basketball over the course of one and a half months. Beginning the Wednesday of one week in February, the two sides perform a student composed, cast, and directed musical. Whether it’s costumes, acting, composing music, building sets….the students do it all. The past year was my first college night experience and watching how my university came together and did such a magical thing left me in awe. Whether we were a Purple or a Gold, we were a family. I was amazed and happy to be a part of this tradition.

6. Family

When moving away from home, I was nervous about leaving all my friends, starting college, and whether I would make new friends. I can honestly say, after completing my first year, I have made lifelong friends and sisters. These are the people who I can talk to and go on late night food runs with. These are the ones I will remember when I hear the word Montevallo. They are my Montevallo family.

Montevallo, this is why I fell in love with you. Whether it was through the friends, education, or the community, you hold a special place in my heart. I cannot wait for the next few years with you. They will definitely be memorable.