Why Everyone Should Read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

It's probably the best book you will ever read.

6473

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky is probably one of the best books I've ever read for so many different reasons. Not only is it an amazing look inside a teenage boy's mind when it comes to depression, friendship, loneliness and heartache but it is also a reminder of things that happen in high school that we may not be able to change, but we can make the best of it. The book is focused on the main character, Charlie, and his letters to an anonymous listener that he refers to as "Friend". In the very beginning of the book he mentions,

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

Right there, right in that quote, I knew that I was going to love every word this book offered to me. Things like that are just so perfectly worded that it makes you think about it for days and think about how it relates to your life. Charlie has such a way with his words. It makes you forget that he is just around the same age as us.

This book has so many amazing quotes and relatable moments that it just makes this book stand out from all of the rest in so many wonderful ways. I mean, this book was what got me back into reading. And any book that can make a teenager love to read is worth giving a shot.

I think one of the best things about this book is the fact that there are so many quotes that just resonate with you when the book is finished. For example, probably the most popular one from the book:

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

That quote was told to the main character, Charlie, from his teacher and I think it is one of the most profound things that he could have said. If you really think about it though, it's extremely true. We do only accept the love we believe that we deserve. Not too often do we go out and try to see things differently and try to make things happen for ourselves. There are probably many times where we don't think we deserve the love that we get, however, it's not like that at all.

Another one of my favorite quotes is:

“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”

I love it because it's true. If your kids are upset, it matters the world to them. Sure things are worse off in other places, but right now, your child's entire world is crashing down and that's not okay to them therefore you should be able to help them when they need it the most.

I could go on forever, but I probably shouldn't. There are so many wonderful and amazing quotes that will make you think about all parts of your life after finishing this book. There are also wonderfully relatable characters, a perfect storyline and a distinct way that the books takes your breath away when it's finished. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll re-read it 4 times. Give it a try. It's the best thing I've ever read. Or if you prefer movies, there is a "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" movie with Emma Watson, Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller as the main characters. Totally worth it. Not as good as the book, but when is the movie ever better than the book?

Have fun reading!