Why I Don't Wear Makeup Everyday

I'm a woman who loves makeup, but doesn't wear it everyday. Actually, if you ask most people that know me, they'd probably tell you that I rarely wear makeup. I use to wear it everyday in high school. Waking up an extra hour early, so that I'd have time to put it on. I didn't just wear the "everyday look" either, I'd switch it up. Each day was a new day to play around with winged liner or match my eye shadow color to my clothes. I even made beauty tutorial videos on YouTube showing people how to recreate different makeup looks. What I'm trying to say is that my passion and love for makeup is strong, and I could talk about it for hours to someone if they'd let me. Even though I enjoy makeup I stopped wearing it everyday once I got to college. It's a decision I made and am happy that I made. I've had people ask me why I don't wear makeup anymore, especially people who knew me when I wore it everyday. Well, I stopped wearing it for a variety of different reasons.

It first started when I signed up for an 8 a.m. class my first semester of college. Smart move. I know. I could customize my schedule any way I wanted, but no, I chose the classes that start at the crack of dawn. I have a difficult time waking up early and value my sleep. Also, I'm not a morning person. I hate mornings and mornings hate me. Since my classes were so early in the morning, I wanted every extra second of sleep I could and made that a priority over waking up an extra hour early to do makeup. I lived in a dorm and it only took me about five to ten minutes to walk to class, so I'd sleep in as long as I could and wakeup with just enough time to shower, get dressed, and head out the door to class. The next few semesters after that, I signed up for morning classes as well, so that I could work the rest of the day. I just want to clarify that I never ever took an 8 a.m. class ever again, but had classes around 9:30 and 10. Also if you're in college and are thinking about taking 8 a.m. classes, remember this advice: don't take an 8 a.m. class because you will hate your life. Basically I chose sleep over makeup. At least I got dressed every morning for class, some people just showed up in their pajamas.

Since I became used to not wearing makeup, it started to feel like a chore to put it on. Even when I didn't have a morning class and had all day to put on makeup, I just felt too lazy to do it. I use to put makeup on even if I was just leaving the house to go to the grocery store. Now I don't see a point in wasting an hour to put on makeup when I won't be out for long. I still think putting makeup on is fun and I spend hours playing around with it when I'm dressing up for special occasions, but I don't have a desire to do that everyday anymore. I could be doing better things with my time.

Another reason I don't wear makeup is that I'm not trying to impress anyone. Besides loving makeup, I also made sure I was wearing makeup everyday because I was single. I never knew who I'd run into. Not to say I don't look good without makeup, I just wanted to always look really nice incase I ran into my soul mate. I started dating my boyfriend right after high school ended. We've now been together for three years and though I like to dress up and wear makeup when we go on dates, I don't feel the need to wear it if we are just relaxing at each other's houses. Now that I have a boyfriend, I don't feel the need to put makeup on if I'm running a quick errand at the super market. I won't run into my soul mate there because I already found him.

The last reason I stopped wearing makeup everyday is because I've changed. In high school I was very insecure. I saw makeup as a way to mask who I was. I felt like I had to hide behind the makeup. As I've gotten older and more mature, I've realized how silly that was. There was no reason for me to feel insecure. As I've said a hundred times I love makeup, but makeup began to become something negative in my life instead of fun. Makeup should be used for fun or to enhance the already beautiful features on a persons face. It shouldn't be used as a disguise. Now that I've realized that I've felt more confident leaving the house with a bare face and only wear makeup now when I have a desire to not because I feel I have to.