Why I Don't Want Children

Why I Don't Want Children

I don't want children and it is okay

304
Why I Don't Want Children
pexels.com

Most people are probably opening up this article thinking, “What kind of person doesn’t want to have kids?!” I have nothing against kids, but the lifestyle I want to live does not involve kids in the mix. I want to be able to set my own pace, pack up my stuff whenever I want and take an adventure. I would rather be 40 years old seeing the world with someone I love rather than packing up my mini-van and carpooling kids to soccer practice. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is my personal preference.

I have many siblings, I have younger cousins and I love them all. I do not doubt how rewarding being a mother is. We all have one thing that we want above all else, whether it is being successful in the workplace, traveling the world, or having a family. I want to be successful at my career and I do not want to hold back and sacrifice my wants. As extremely selfish as people may see it, it is a choice (it is not selfish to not care about the children I do not have). I do not want to have to slow down my life, when you have children you do slow down at least somewhat. I want to put my needs first. If my career demands more time or relocating, I want to take those opportunities. My friends talk about wanting kids eventually and for me I just do not see it in my path. People always tell me I will grow out of it and when I settle down I will want kids. I grow out of clothes, not the choices I make. The whole point is I don’t want to settle down and live the same day in repeat. I want to wake up every morning with the hope of being spontaneous. I also get, "Well your mom gave birth to you!" Well just because I was born does not mean I owe the world another child in return. I didn’t sign any contracts when I came out of the womb. Just because I am a woman does not mean my sole duty is to reproduce. Then there is the, “How will you get married??” Well the answer is, just like everyone else. I know what I want and if someone else doesn’t agree well then I am not the one for them. I am not sacrificing my lifestyle just to please someone else.

All it comes down to is that it is my choice. I can list 50 reasons but they won’t matter. People can think what they want but it is my life. I don’t want to be anchored for 18 years of my life. I want to live a simple life, easy breezy. I do not have to conform. I do not fit in the domestic housewife category and I don’t have to mold myself to be someone I am not. It is okay to not feel the urge to want to have kids.