Why I Don't Care If You Don't Like My Tattoos And Piercings

Tattoos and piercings are a way for you to be you. Don't let society's standards ruin that for you.
21

While sitting in my friend's dining room with their parents talking about what tattoos we were all going to get next and admiring the ones we already have, my friend said something that made me kind of sad. He said he would not get any tattoos from his chest and above, afraid he may never find a job if he had any form of a visual art there. I wasn't sad because he said this as he was just focused on his future. I was sad because we still live in a world where having any form of body art or piercing affects whether or not you get a job.

I sat there, pondering whether or not my nose ring, or my two tattoos, will affect any job that I might get in the next six months. Then I wondered whether or not the two or three more tattoos I plan on getting will affect a job I might get after graduating college in three years. Then, my friend's dad said something to me that will stick with me, "Tattoos and piercings in no way affect your work ethic."

He is so right. My capabilities in my occupation are not going to be defined on any form of body art that I portray, and if I am not hired anywhere because of this, then I think I am better off not working for close-minded people. Having piercings and tattoos are a way of expressing oneself, just like music, art or poetry. So, when you tell me that you don't like my tattoos or you remind me that I will never find a job with that "stupid nose ring" on my face, I'd like to kindly remind you that I do not care. I do not care that you don't think that the education I am pursuing is not enough for me to go far in life and that you think one thing on my face is going to ruin everything for me. You are wrong. I know for a fact that I am going to be successful for being me, not the painted picture society wants me to be.

For those of you who have not been able to express themselves through tattoos and piercings because of the scrutiny behind it, go do it. Remember that you should only do things that make you happy, not others. Also, you can always get something in a discreet spot that only you can see! And for those who continue every day to show off their body art and their awesome piercings, keep on showing the world how beautiful you are!

I want to reiterate something to all of you. However, you decide to express yourself, do it for you. No one else, but you. Remember that it doesn't matter if someone doesn't love what you have, as long as you love yourself.