Why Does America Love "The Bachelor" Franchise?

"Will you accept this rose?"

103

Why is America so obsessed with "The Bachelor" franchise?

After 21 seasons of "The Bachelor," 12 seasons of "The Bachelorette," three seasons of "Bachelor Pad" and three seasons of "Bachelor in Paradise," millions of people in America have watched strangers fall deeply in love in a matter of weeks; and I am one of them.

I have to admit I was completely skeptical at first. I mean, it’s literally a franchise based on having complete strangers get engaged after only knowing one another for a couple of weeks and having one man/ woman date 25 people at the same damn time. How could you not be skeptical? But, one snowy night in with my roommates and a couple of glasses of wine later, I was completely hooked and borderline obsessed. So why do I and millions of Americans love this crap? I’ll tell you.

1. The drama.

Each episode is filled with nonstop drama. From tears to fights to contestants having a little too much to drink, "The Bachelor" franchise has it all. Every season seems to become more and more dramatic.

2. The villain.

I have no idea why we love the villain so much, but every season has one and we cannot get enough of this key character. This notorious character is the one who follows that cliche line, "I didn't come here to make friends" and who will do just about anything to win the show. This year, we have Chad who has literally made death threats to other contestants, punched walls, pushed other guys and has since hooked up with some of the contestant’s ex-girlfriends. Oh, Chad.

3. The romance.

Roses, check. Candles, check. Helicopter rides, check. Think of anything slightly romantic and "The Bachelor" franchise has done it. These lucky people get to travel all around the world and go on the most extravagant dates in the most beautiful places, all while falling in love! Meanwhile, I'll marry the next guy that buys me a McFlurry from McDonald's.

4. We love, love.

Us Americans are hopeless romantics. We just can’t help it. We love watching these people fall head over heels in love with one another. Sometimes, they fall in love with multiple people! I’m talking to you Ben. We hope for our favorite contestants to make it to the very end and hopefully get engaged to the person they love with a stunning Neil Lane ring no less. And sometimes this love lasts. Trista and Ryan have been together for 13 years now. Sean and Catherine just had a baby. Tanner and Jade just got married. Kaitlyn and Shawn are constantly snap chatting their crazy life together. Surrounding all the craziness of the show, it really does work. Even if it doesn’t last, they fall in love and isn’t that what it’s all about?

So, next Monday night, grab your favorite bottle of wine and your closest friends, and watch the show because you are missing one hell of a show. There are a reason millions of people who tune in every Monday night. They only thing you will regret is not watching it sooner!

The season finale of "The Bachelorette" premieres this Monday, Aug. 1 at 8 p.m. on ABC and is sure to be the most dramatic finale ever. The season premier of "Bachelor in Paradise" is on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at 8 p.m..