Why I Decided To Study In The Arts Instead Of The Sciences

Because no one ever tells you that's an okay thing to do.

469

Going to an arts intensive school I hear a lot of my friends concerned about actually getting jobs after they graduate and being self-sufficient. More importantly, I see a lot of high school seniors willing to go into the arts but are afraid to because they fear unemployment. A friend of mine recently sparked my interest when she didn’t get into her dream school for theater and started to doubt herself, so I thought I’d talk to you a little this week about unconventional paths.

Before I made the decision to act on my passion for video production and journalism, I had intended to go to college for Marine Biology. I was really invested in this, I mean super invested. I did water testing in other countries and I intensive summer programs that required me to stay on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean for three days. No running water, no electricity, just seals, seagulls and angsty teens for three whole days. This was really something that I loved and still do to this day. The ocean is my favorite place and if ever I am in a place too far from any large body of water I get a little anxious.

So I know now a lot of you are asking, “well you spent a lot of time in marine biology you obviously loved it, why would you drop it?” while marine biology is something very near and dear to my heart and it does make me very happy I didn’t have the passion for it that someone spending their life on it would. For me, it was more of a hobby and if I’m completely honest, it was kind of a clutch. Studying sciences for me would have been the easy way out. Now I’m not saying that science in any way is easy, I’m saying that as a researcher, especially in a field where we don’t know 75 percent of what exists I could have easily gotten my degrees and a good job to support myself. However, I knew that as sure fire as that was it wasn’t what I wanted.

I always had a knack for film. When I was younger my aunt and I would produce semi-scripted home movies on the camcorder and it seemed like every other Christmas, I got a new camera to perfect my skills with. Recently though, is where I cultivated my love for writing. Basically, any way to get my voice heard is perfect for me. I was hoping to combine these with my other true love which is music. I won’t be making it per say (trust me I’ve tried) but I intend on being as close to the music industry as possible. My ultimate goal would be to work for Alternative Press Magazine.

AP, is a popular music magazine located in Cleveland, Ohio that’s geared toward the audiences of the alternative music scene. AP isn’t just an editorial magazine; they have a YouTube channel where they post interviews and mini-documentary style videos. So with my double major you see I’ve got all their bases covered! Until I get there though I’ll keep perfecting my craft and writing where I can, maybe make a few music documentaries along the way.

Am I crazy for throwing away the safety of being a scientist and putting everything I have into working for a very audience specific magazine? Maybe, I can use my degrees for many other things too. I’m not going to graduate and immediately land a job there (but that’d be the dream am I right?). I’m going out on one hell of a limb but no one ever got anywhere by playing safe. From my experience, the happiest people are the ones that took a chance because at least they know they tried and if by some twist of fate I never work there, my degrees aren’t going to go to waste. There are still so many other places I can work and still be doing what I love.

Happiness is more important than anything. If I had gone with any of my conventional success plans I may have been financially sound, but I wouldn’t have been happy. Do what inspires you. I didn’t think I would end up at a small liberal arts college in the middle of Manhattan studying film when I planned to be a biologist but I did. If you’re scared you’ve got the right idea, follow that feeling. You’ll end up being exactly where you need to be.