Why Dating In College Was A Mistake For Me

It's just a waste of time.

144

While in college I have dated three different guys over the course of my freshman and sophomore years. I do not think that dating in college is right for me, but it might be for you. I have had my fair share of bad experiences in dating, most of which have come in college. Here is a synopsis of two of my predominant college relationships.

The first relationship I had in college was the spring semester of my freshman year. He was four years older than me so I thought he might be a bit more mature than all the guys I dated in high school. Everything was good when we first started dating and we hung out all the time. We were part of the same organization and college, so we saw each other around all the time. It was super nice at first, but then things started to get kind of suffocating and started to go downhill. We would stay at each other's places all the time and I started to notice that things seemed to be a little off between us. He started acting weird and saying things I did not like. He started to act differently around people versus when we were alone. We continued to date through the semester and then into the summer. We would hang out all the time and spend a ton of time together. Then, out of nowhere, he decided not to talk to me as much as we used to, and right before finals for my summer classes, he ended things.

The second relationship I had in college was the spring semester of my sophomore year. We connected on a deep level very quickly. I had never connected with someone so fast. We started dating and hung out multiple days a week. We would go out to hockey games, get dinner, and hang out with my friends together. We traveled three and a half hours to my house for him to meet my dad and sister. His meeting with my family was a huge deal to me. Then when the university decided to go to online classes for the rest of his semester, I decided to move in with him since I would not have my own room if I moved back in with my dad. Then not even a week into staying with him I found out he had cheated on me and was continuing to cheat on me while I was staying with him. So, I broke up with him, left his place, and moved back in with my dad.

Dating in college just seems like a waste of time for me. These two relationships I had in my two years at college have not been good experiences. The guys in college do not seem to be looking for the same things I am looking for. So, from now on I am going to just focus on my studies and put guys on the back burner. Again, just because dating in college wasn't working out for me doesn't mean it never will, and doesn't mean it won't work out for you.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.