Why I Cried On November 8th

Why I Cried On November 8th

A personal reflection on the election of Donald Trump.

19
Why I Cried On November 8th
Wonkette

On November 8th, Donald J Trump was elected president of the United States. For me, the reality of that statement has not yet sunken in. I was afraid to write this article because I was afraid of saying something wrong. I was afraid of being criticized for my beliefs, of sounding ignorant, or seeming overly dramatic. But I have put aside those thoughts because I believe that now more than ever, my voice deserves to be heard. Everyone’s voice deserves to be heard, even the voices of those who voted for Trump. Especially those voices. Because in a country so politically polarized, the only way that we can move forward is through open and honest discourse.

I cried on November 8th because I was utterly shocked. Up until that point, I had never truly believed that Trump could become president. Yes, I had thought that it was quite possible that a Republican could be elected in 2016 because there is a tendency to alternate between Democratic and Republican presidencies. I could accept that. I could see it as part of the process. And there are republicans whom I respect and admire. But I could not see how someone as politically inexperienced, as unapologetically hateful, as temperamentally unstable, in a word, someone so clearly outmatched by his opponent, could be elected to the most powerful office in the world.

I cried because I was afraid. I was afraid for my future as a woman in this country. But more than that, I was afraid for the futures of so many around me who do not share in the same privileges that I do. I was scared for people of color, LGBTQ+, immigrants, Muslims, people with disabilities, and everyone else who has been targeted and insulted by Trump. I cried because in some sense I felt I did not even deserve to cry since I could not even imagine the feelings of those in situations so much worse than mine.

I cried because I was reminded anew of the hate and intolerance that exists in our country. Because what is scarier than the thought of Trump in the Oval Office is the thought that millions of Americans believe that of all the candidates, he is truly the best person to run this country. I cried because America would rather elect an intolerant and hateful man than a woman. I cried because our education system has failed to educate us about the consequences of electing someone like Trump.

I cried because I could not understand how the slow and painful progress we have made in so many areas could be so totally threatened. I could not believe that the hard-fought gains of the Civil Rights Movement, of the Feminist movement, of the Environmental Movement, and so many others could be undermined so easily. I cried because not only does Trump disrespect the memory of those who fought in these movements in the past but he threatens the future of everyone and everything on earth for generations to come.

I cried because truth could be so flagrantly disregarded that distortion and deception are spread with impunity and accepted.

I cried that someone so selfish and arrogant could get his way.

I cried because most Americans don’t even realize how much this decision affects the rest of the world. That the possibility of disagreement, conflict, and even nuclear war has suddenly become much less distant.

I cried that Hillary Clinton, I woman whom I respect as someone who has dedicated her adult life to the pursuit of politics, could be falsely accused not only of being incapable but of being a criminal and a crook. That she could be blamed for her husband’s mistakes and endlessly lambasted for the same mistakes, blown wildly out of proportion, all of which pale in comparison to the innumerable wrongs Trump has committed.

Most of all, I cried because I felt utterly helpless. I could not understand how my first time voting in a presidential election, things could go so hopelessly wrong. How, not only could Trump win the presidency, but Republicans could win majorities in both the House and the Senate, so that his job will be easier. How the Electoral College, for the second time within only 16 years, will likely elect a president who did not win the popular vote.

But if this election has taught me anything, it is that change is possible. Even if it is the wrong kind of change, a Trump presidency is a monumental change. He is truly unlike any president that has ever been elected in this country. But this means that we can fight back, we can create change of our own. One thing is certain: more people care about this election than any other. Practically the whole world is paying attention. We can use that attention to enact change. We can speak out, we can protest, and our voices will be heard.

I have seen enormous outpourings of kindness and support as a result of this election. In the coming days and months I hope that will continue so that we can bridge the terrible ideology gap that brought this about in the first place. So that instead of giving up, we can continue to fight for what we believe in. We must show that Trump does not represent the United States, his hatred is not what we stand for. It is important to take time to cry, to be emotional and recover from this event. But we must move on, we must move forward.

I chose to write this article because I want my voice to be heard. In whatever small way I can, I want to be part of the change that must come. Even if people disagree with what I have to say, that is good, as long as they do it on reasonable grounds. We must not forget that free speech is still protected under the Constitution. We have the right to speak out and we must exercise it, we must talk to each other and to the government.