College Has Changed My Life

College Has Given Me So Many Opportunities, It’s Definitely Changed My Life For The Better

No, college isn't for everyone, but college IS for me.

117

Growing up I always felt motivated to go to college and get a degree. This isn't because my parents forced me to go to college. It's because I've always wanted to go. Maybe it was too better myself, further my education, or have a secure way into a decent amount of money afterward.

My parents did not receive a college degree. They both went but never finished, and that's okay because life happens. On both sides, neither of my grandparents graduated with college degrees either. Most of my cousins, aunts, and uncles, either attended college and didn't finish, didn't go, or a few have graduated with degrees.

Now, of course, you do not have to go to college because it is not for everyone. So my family not finishing school or going is okay with me because they ended up okay anyway. My parents always told me, if you're not going to college then you need to get a decent job right out of high school or do SOMETHING. Again, I was already set on going to school — not for anyone else, but for me.

Personally, I couldn't stand high school because most of the people sucked. And to be honest, I feel like I learned absolutely nothing at my high school because my teachers weren't the greatest. So I was nervous to come to college because I didn't feel prepared — I mean we barely even wrote papers at high school, so that was the first red flag and a reason to worry when going to college.

Fast-forwarding to move in day at my dorm at Cleveland State University, I was excited for so many reasons. One because my life long best friend and I got to be roommates, and two because I was taking on a new challenge in an environment that was new.

After attending college for my first semester, I was shocked in a way that my grades were as good as they were. And this was motivation to keep going, keep bettering myself, and to keep pushing through the stress and challenges.

College has taught me how to time manage my studies and work while also maintaining a social life. I'd like to say that if I never came to college that I wouldn't be the person I am today.

College has changed my life for the better, opened up many doors, and led me to great friends that I'll have forever, — not to mention the memories. Without college, I wouldn't have the job I have now that I'm passionate about and I wouldn't even be sitting here writing this article.

College brought me a challenge that I was happy to take and one that I wouldn't change for the world. Yes, school is hard and you will be stressed, but this type of stress isn't one to be hurt over when you will be successful in the future. I'm only a sophomore but if the next two years of school are anything like the first two were, then there is no doubt in my mind that I will graduate and be successful and happy with my decisions.