Why I Chose to Go To A Community College First

Sometimes, you just aren't ready to grow up right after you threw that cap up at graduation...

45
tumblr

Let’s be honest, we all have the idea that community college is just like high school, and it is. But, community college also prepares you for a university.

I chose to go through two years at community college before moving on to a university because I know I am not ready for taking on the responsibility of "adulting" right now. (I mean come on...I just turned 18 three months ago.)

With that being said, community college does have its positives.

It prepares you for your future at a university. I can just imagine the anxiety of what it was like starting high school, let alone starting at a university miles or even hundreds of miles away from home. This way, you get a chance to understand how college works and have some experience before going to a four year university.

You can still see your high school friends or classmates just about every day. My high school best friend and I have no classes together, but we still have to meet up for lunch or ride around every day to catch up. When you are at a university, you probably only get to see that best friend on the weekends, if you’re lucky.

It's familiar. Sure, I had twice that anxiety of high school stepping into my first class at community college (and I can assure you I will have about three times that much at a four year university), but I still had that comfort of being close to home and around people I knew.

Because, let’s face it. I live in small town, USA. I know or have at least heard of everyone around me.

Finally, (this isn’t for everyone, but if you are a commuter like me) you get to live at home. I remember being thirteen years old and already planning the day I got to move out of my parents’ home, and now; honestly, I’m dreading the moment I go to a university and hug my daddy goodbye.

In my short adult life so far, one of the best decisions I have made was deciding to put university off for two years and begin my schooling and career off slowly.

We all need a little push, but why not be prepared when that time comes?