Why I Chose CUNY

Why I Chose CUNY

If you told me I'd be going to a CUNY about 5 years ago, I would have laughed. Really hard.

72
Why I Chose CUNY
MatZav

If you and I could travel back in time, and you told me that I would be going to a CUNY for my college education, I would have laughed hysterically and said, “No, but really. Where will I go?”

I was career-oriented, and I still am, and as an immature, ignorant, and somewhat entitled teenager, I thought I was completely above a CUNY education. Public education? Gross. I wanted to go to a private school where the grass and hedges are all nicely tended to, where everyone wears business-casual, where the frat stars and scholars got along, and where I would meet world-renowned professors and look at some historical landmark that belonged to the prestigious university. I wanted to go where I felt would give me the best education – where the white people are.

Sure, you probably are saying to yourself that that statement about my fantasy being where the white people are, is a gross generalization. But, it is true. The scene I just described is, for the most part, any private school in America that is at least moderately-to-very selective, costs upwards of $50,000, and wait for it… constitutes of the majority of America, white students.

All of that backstory aside, this week has been quite turbulent for me, as it has been for most of America. As a colored young woman from conservative Long Island going to school in the ever-diverse New York City, I was, and remain, worried about my safety. This week had a lot of implications, with which came radical waves of emotion, including denial, despair, acceptance and an eventual newfound drive to make the change I wanted to see in the world. Of course that last point hasn’t been fulfilled yet, but we’re on our way there.

But, after conversations with many of my friends from college and high school, and even before that, I am only certain of one thing…

I am beyond lucky to be going to school in New York City, to be going to CUNY.

The evolution of education and ultimately how I got here has been quite the journey. As I expressed above, my dream was to go to a private school, because I felt that it would provide me the best education and the best resources, best support systems. I felt that it would give me the best experience.

But, over this week, as I spoke to students from both private and public schools alike, I realized one thing. The real difference in our educational experiences was not coming from how large our campus was (if we had a campus), how much we paid for tuition, what majors we are, how many student centers we had at our school… it was coming from who we were surrounded by.

I will not and cannot lie. Up until maybe my senior year of high school, I was a moderate-Republican. Because of religious reasons and also due to where I grew up, I was very moderate on many issues, but of course, when it came down to truly taking a side in matters, I realized that I didn’t know where I stood. And so, I used college as the opportunity to explore what being Republican and what being a Democrat meant to me.

And so, my very, very exciting journey began! Fate had it written, and not only did I not receive enough money from those private schools I was yearning for (lol), but I also I got accepted to a top-tier honors program in NYC, the Macaulay Honors College.

I was beyond excited to go to school there, but it turned out, I didn’t truly realize the biggest reason I had to be excited. I was excited to know that I would be getting my undergraduate degree debt-free and that I would be pursuing my pre-medical education with many support systems around me. But, I completely underestimated the effect of having such a diverse student population around me.

And over the past year and a half, it has turned out to be the best thing ever. I met, and continue to meet, all kinds of people – White, Black, Indian, Asian, Middle-Eastern, Eastern-European – of all different faiths – Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc., – and I realize that the greatest lessons I had to learn from college were from these people. The ways in which we perceived and analyzed the same situation is the true gem of my college experience. In just my first few months, college had already begun to open my eyes to the struggles, the joys, the pride, the customs of all of these people, and that is something no one can ever put a price tag on.

CUNY – although struggling in some aspects – remains a highlight of my academic career. After leaving a pre-dominantly white, Republican hometown, words can’t explain what NYC has done for my personal enlightenment. I am proud to be a CUNY student, and I am proud to be part of such a diverse world.

Back to the main point – after this election, it became very clear to me who had been influenced by their parents, the media, and simply what they have heard before. But, coming back to Brooklyn College after that election – I was proud to see what I did. The train ride was quiet, but I saw friends sitting together in the subway to share a tear, a laugh, and even a hug. I saw solidarity among the BC students, knowing that even though Donald Trump may have incited violence throughout the country, whatever happened within those gates was in our control, and it always will be. We are empowered, and we continue lend a helping hand to our fellow students to let them know they are not alone.

I am a CUNY student, and I am proud to say that at my very own school, I saw that #LoveTrumpsHate. I love that instead of being separated my difference, my peers and I appreciate each other for it. I am proud to go to the school I go to… Are you?