Why Choosing The Right College Is So Important

It took me a year to figure out where I want to be.

554
Google

Choosing college can be so stressful. I remember when I was applying to colleges, I had no idea where I actually wanted to go. I just applied to the schools my friends were applying to and of course, the Ivy Leagues that my parents wanted me to apply to. My heart wasn’t into those schools wholeheartedly. I just didn’t know where I wanted to go.

My initial dream was to move to California for college. If I forced myself to go, I knew I can make it but a part of me knew it will be too much and too difficult. I live on the East Coast; if I move across the country, my parents will be so heartbroken. I didn’t want to be that kid who only comes home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I decided not to go to California. Goodbye beautiful sunshine and Cali beaches!

When it was time to pick among the colleges that I got into, I had to decide whether I want to live in New York City or move to a different city or state. I finally came down to two choices: CUNY (City University of New York) or SUNY (State University of New York). To be specific, it was between Brooklyn College and University of Albany. I still didn’t know which one to choose.

My parents wanted me to stay home and go to Brooklyn College but I knew that it will be the same routine as high school if I go to that school. I live so close to Brooklyn College and I knew it will be just school, home, school, home. I didn’t want that. At that moment of my life, I desired new changes in my life. I thought I will see the same faces and will stay in the same circle of friends if I end up staying in the city. So my answer was clear; I chose Albany.

I was so excited for Albany. I wanted to explore the new city and experience a new lifestyle. By the end of the summer, I was so ready to leave. It was only 3 hours away from home so whenever I wanted to visit, I can always come home. I only knew like 3 people who were going to my school so I was so excited to meet new people and experience the campus life.

After a year of living there, I found out it wasn’t the right college for me. I met amazing people and some of my best friends are like my long lost twins. As much as I love them so much, I wasn’t that happy at UAlbany. The campus life and its memories were so wonderful and will forever be in my heart but I just didn’t want to spend the next three years in Albany.

UAlbany is a great school but it just wasn’t for me. I knew that I will be happier in New York City. So I came home and decided to transfer. Now I am going to a City University of New York and I’m happier than ever. It’s really good to be home. I am really excited to live in the city again and enjoy every aspect of New York City.

Sometimes, it takes an entire year to really figure out what you want to do. College is about self-discovery. I want you to be able to figure out who you are and know what you want to do at the end of those four years. College is an amazing journey if you make the best out of it. Therefore, make sure your whole heart is into it when you choose the right college for you during your senior year. Best of luck!