Why Can't We Send Rapists To Jail?

Why Can't We Send Rapists To Jail?

Fed up with the system.

94
Why Can't We Send Rapists To Jail?
The Petition Site

I'm done. That's right, folks, calling it quits, throwing up my hands and moving far, far away because this kind of crap is just ridiculous. Yet another rapist is running off with six months of jail time and little more than a stern talking to while yet another rape victim is being made to feel as though her body, her choice and the violation of these two things doesn't matter.

In case you don't know all the details, I'll break it down for you. On Jan. 17 of last year, Brock Turner, a Stanford student, raped a drunk woman at a college frat party. According to bystanders, he was found humping her unconscious body next to a dumpster. The woman was then taken to the hospital with little to no recollection of it all until the doctors told her what had happened, as she details in a letter that I urge you to read. She didn't remember his fingers inside her, of course, because she wasn't conscious enough to make the decision.

Caught in the act by witnesses, one of which was found by police distraught from what he had seen, Turner was recently convicted of not one, not two, but three counts of sexual assault. Although state prosecutors asked for six years, Californian judge Aaron Persky believed six months would do just fine.

Almost as troubling as the ruling was the way the offenders father views the rape, as shown in his own letter to the judge asking for leniency with his son. In this letter, Turner's father echoes many of the beliefs held by Americans everywhere; that the rape, while an unfortunate incident, wasn't that big of a deal and certainly not bad enough to merit serious consequences on the perpetrators end.

According to his father, Turner would do anything to take back what he did that night and has expressed "true remorse" in one on one conversations with him. Turner's father goes on to detail his son's "easygoing personality," intelligence and athletic ability. Brock fell into a hard time during his first year at Stanford, according to the letter, and with the stress of school, sports and a struggling social life, he fell into the pressures of college life.

His father says that Brock's life has been "deeply altered" by the rape and according to him "[Turner] has no criminal history and has never been violent to anyone including his actions on the night of January 17th." Oh really? So raping someone isn't a violent action now?

Just when I thought it could get no worse, Turner's dad goes on to say that his son's life will never amount to the one that he worked so hard to achieve, saying, "This is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of 20 plus years of life."

While I'm certainly not the kind to demean a human life, no matter what they have done, murder doesn't usually take more than 20 minutes either and that is something that could screw over the life of anyone, no matter how young. When you do the crime, you do the time. Perhaps he hasn't raped anyone before, but that in no way takes away from his actions. While he may be the kind, talented and ambitious student his father and friends portray, that same kind, talented and ambitious student must now stand accountable for his actions. In hindsight, I'm sure Turner wouldn't have committed a crime that would go on to tank his academic and swimming career or dismantle the life of another human being, but the fact remains that he did.

Rape is a crime, people, and a serious one at that. For proof, just look at the suffering of the woman Brock violated that night. While the smile may have been wiped off of his face and he will soon have to register as a sex offender, the very essence was wiped out of the woman he victimized and though I hope she doesn't, she may always see herself as someone who has been raped.

The papers refer to her as Emily Doe in order to give her privacy during the last few months of court battles. She, like Turner, can't eat, can't sleep and can't go back to her former way of life because of the 20 minutes one night during which her body was no longer her own.

He rammed his fingers into her vagina after she fell onto ground and was stripped and nearly naked. According to her letter, she was too drunk to speak English and too drunk to consent. 12 jurors saw this as a crime, but apparently Judge Persky and Turner's father did not. In a quote from the letter Turners father sent to Judge Persky he says, "incarceration is not the appropriate punishment" for his son.The fact that Turner can serve as little as six months for a crime of this nature and that his father doesn't even think that jail time is necessary doesn't just make me angry; it makes me scared and it should probably make you scared, too. Statistically speaking, rape could rather easily happen to you or someone you know. Apparently, the rapist could get away with it. The judge could be distracted from the facts by a winning smile and a touching history. Your words, your pain and your life could be ignored and in the end your rape, the violation of your most prized possession, your body, could be viewed as a trivial action acted on in a moment of passion.What I ask is simple: I want to feel safe. I want to go to parties, I want to have fun and I want to live my life without the constant fear that something like this will happen to me. I want to know that the American government gives a damn about me and about my choices. In this country we have freedom and we have rights. What I didn't know was that those freedoms and rights weren't to our bodies, but to our right to shove ourselves into the bodies of a person who says no or even worse, says nothing.

I smile a lot and if you know anything about me, you know I'm happy. Life has treated me well and even when it hasn't, there's usually something to laugh about. But right now, there isn't. As I think about what the future holds in store for me and for countless other women and men, I don't laugh—not even a little bit. What Judge Persky did wasn't just wrong, it was a threat to the lives of women and men everywhere. In giving Brock six months for the rape of Emily Doe, what Persky said to her and to anyone in her situation is that your pain, your suffering and your rights don't matter.

Somewhere out there, there are babies looking adorable, cats running from cucumbers and elephants trying to be lapdogs, and those are things to smile about. When the world is being sexist, racist, classist and careless, these are the things we often turn to in order to forget and deal with the troubled circumstances under which we live. But right now, we need to get angry.

There is a petition going around in order to have Judge Persky excused from his role as judge as punishment for his actions and while I don't think this is enough, we need to start doing something. Sign the petition and show the world that rapists aren't going to be treated with a slap on the wrist and rape victims aren't going to be ignored—not by you, not by the law and certainly not by Judge Persky.