Why Breaking Up Sucks

Why Breaking Up Sucks

10 relatable reasons why losing your significant other and ending a chapter of your life kills.

459
Why Breaking Up Sucks
Taylor DeBello
No matter how toxic a relationship may be, many can agree that breaking up still sucks. Knowing it's finally the end and the person you once shared everything with is moving on, is a feeling that is incomparable in the worst way.

Here are 10 reasons why break-ups absolutely suck.

1. You're single

Face the facts, being in a relationship is so much easier than being single. Having someone that cares about you is an incredible feeling. Being able to come home to someone after a night out is heart-warming. Not having to worry about going out looking to impress people is carefree and EASY. Let's face it, two is better than one.

2. Everyone needs to know everything

When you feel your worst is when everyone imaginable tries to reach out to you. It doesn't matter if they're your friend or your mom, the question of "What went wrong?" or, "Are you okay?" is unavoidable. The second you feel better and are trying to think of something else, your phone lights up and the one topic you want to avoid becomes readdressed.

3. You lose sense of stability

Everything becomes a question. You feel uneasy and that pit in your stomach lingers as if it's never going to go away. Simple tasks like going to the grocery store become difficult. You leave the house knowing if you bump into your ex-significant other it will do nothing but make you cry on the spot. The want to do certain things erases along with motivation. It hurts to get out of bed so why bother trying? Sleep seems to be the only thing left that provides stability.

4. The feeling of protection is gone

That warming sense of knowing no one could ever hurt you disappears. The one you love is no longer there to have your back come any situation. He or she isn't there to hold you when you get upset over family issues or school. The only person you aren't afraid to cry in front of becomes the one person you will never let see you cry again.

5. The loss of family

If you are close with the siblings or the parents of your significant other, this could possible be the worst reason. No more family dinners or lazy afternoons on the couch. No ice cream dates with your siblings and theirs. That one aunt of your significant other that you talk to for hours is someone you could possibly never see again. Your family loses your significant other as well. The grandparent that raved over how "you picked such a good one", misses them just as much as you do.

6. Thoughts are jumbled

You get stuck in a constant state of "What did I do?" or, "How could have I prevented this?". Whether you broke up with your significant other or he/she broke up with you, these thoughts still run through ones mind. You hurt right when you wake up and right before you go to sleep. Sometimes there isn't even a reason as to why it hurts, you just know it does.

7. Perception changes

Your once perfect relationship is now over and all you can do is think "When did he/she stop loving me?". The negatives of the relationship stick out more than the positives, forcing feelings of not only confusion, but regret. A relationship that seemed perfect to you and everyone around you, instantly changes to toxic and broken.

8. Certain songs hurt

For someone who enjoys music and believes music affects feelings and meanings, this one might be the worst. That song that just seemed like any old song rips through your heart when you hear it come on the radio. The song that you sang windows down, screaming as you drove down a back rode with the one you love becomes poison to your soul. Every word is a dagger, and every word brings back a memory.

9. Nothing matters

Your best friend could give you pep talk number seven, you're going to be hyped about it for five minutes and then you're back to square one. The "just because" letters he or she wrote you lose meaning and the words on the page just turn to words. It doesn't matter how many times your mom tells you that you're the prettiest girl or most handsome boy in the world, you still feel gross.

10. You lose your best friend

The one person you can say anything to knowing they won't judge you is gone. The one you can be a dork with or dress up nice for a fancy dinner is gone. One of the only people you can say truly understands you and loves you for who you are is gone. The one who reads your mind and knows exactly what your next words are is gone. The good morning text, goodnight text is gone. The person that makes you feel alive and gives you a reason to wake up in the morning is gone. The person you love with all your heart is gone. Your person and other half is gone, and this reason will forever be the worst.