I Believe In Santa Claus

I Believe In Santa Claus

"Sometimes the most real things in life, are the things we can't see..."

18
I Believe In Santa Claus
Huffington Post

I believe in Santa Claus.

Yeah, you heard me right.

Now, before you call me crazy, just let me explain.

As a child, the Christmas season was the most magical time of the year, and much of this I attribute to the fact that I believed in the big man in the red suit.

Every year, I remember making my Christmas list, bringing it to Santa, and explaining to him in depth all the toys I wanted. The entire month of December I was always on my best behavior, ensuring that I would be on the "nice list". Then Christmas Eve would roll around. My siblings, cousins, and I would gather around the computer (you know, the big monitor on a desk in your basement) to track Santa's location online. We would freak out seeing Santa was in New York, knowing that he would be on his way to Chicago soon. We would go home, change into our Christmas pajamas, and put out milk and cookies. Then we'd hurry into bed, drifting off to sleep with dreams of everything we would find under the tree.

The next morning I was always woken up by my older siblings (I've never been a morning person). The three of us would run to wake up our parents, where we would drag them into the kitchen and freak out over the half eaten cookies and empty glass of milk. Santa would always leave us a note and we would sit and read it, before waiting at the top of the stairs for our parents to call us down. We would then run downstairs after them, and begin ripping off wrapping paper, making the biggest but happiest mess.

Technically, I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was eleven years old. I remember all my friends teasing me because I still believed, and in fear of not fitting in, I eventually stopped believing myself. Christmas that year was the worst one yet, as it felt like there was simply no more magic.

But then I got older. And the older I get, I realize that Santa isn't the man who comes down the chimney on Christmas Eve. He's much more than that.

Santa is joy. Think about it: when you were a child and believed in him so wholeheartedly, didn't it seem like the world was a much happier place? Even now, you cannot deny the light that comes into everyone's lives during the Christmas season. Everyone is much happier, friendlier, and just in the mood to spread joy.

Santa is love. I mean, props to your parents for buying you such elaborate gifts, and crediting it to someone else. During Christmas time, everyone becomes just a little less selfish, which is a truly incredible thing to witness.

Santa is magic. I know, I know, it's hard to believe that magic exists. In a world where we rely on facts, science, and history, there is no way that magic could be real. But that's the beauty of it. Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing.

The world today is such a dark and cruel place, and it often times feels like we are all out to get each other. But, in the midst of all this, I believe in joy. I believe in love. I believe in magic. So yeah, I still believe in Santa Claus.