Goodbye Friend Zone: Why Romance in Relationships Matters & Doesn't Need to Cost You a Fortune

How many times have women said they wish their other half was just a *little* more romantic? Or even guys wishing their significant other put in more effort? This doesn't mean we want the love of our life to change, but rather how a little spice and romantic gestures keeps the flames burning bright and the relationship strong. No one is saying your S.O. needs to book an all-inclusive trip to Paris (although we'd never say no to that!), but instead that being romantic isn't about spending buckets of money and elaborate dates. Instead, it's about thoughtful just-because gestures or remembering and celebrating the details of a relationship that make us swoon. Here's how you can steer your relationship out of the dreaded friend zone (it can happen!):

618

Psychologists, dating experts, and even your mother's advice can attest to the fact romance is an issue for new couples and long-time relationships. Ensuring that the romantic aspect to a relationship is maintained is essential to preventing a relationship from converting into a friendship. You don't think it can happen to you until you end up in the friendzone. Just because you are dating does not mean the effort train stops, and you get a Get Out of Jail Free card. Also guys, this one is for you: being romantic doesn't mean weakness or lack of masculinity. On the contrary, it is impressive to show you know how to swoon your SO! Ultimately, impressing your significant other doesn't need to come with a hefty price tag, it just needs to come from the heart.

1. Just Because Flowers

This is at number one on our list because it's the oldest trick in the book. We love just-because flowers because they are a beautiful gesture to show that you care, at a very economical cost depending on your choice as a buyer. You can go as simple as supermarket flowers (as Ed Sheeran would say) or more elaborate for a special occasion. But just-because flowers I'd say are even more romantic because you're showing affection without a prompt from pressure like Valentine's Day or an anniversary. Flowers are great to put in a vase and in your room, where we are reminded of the special someone who gave them to us. Keep the flame burning with just because flowers, because you're significant other will be head over heels simply because of a kind small gesture like gifting flowers. Chocolates work just as well! It doesn't need to be Valentine's to show you care. Ladies love this, take notes!

2. Letters to Juliet

Chivalry is not dead. Neither are love letters! I'd say be like Romeo and Juliet, but we all know how that ended. Keep it simple and sweet with a hand written love letter for your significant other and trust me, it will mean the difference, especially after a tough time period in a relationship. Love letters are easy, you just need a pen, paper, and love for your partner. Even if you feel you're not a good writer, the feelings you have will guide your writing. Your significant other will feel loved and cherished reading your thoughtful letter and will have it to read whenever they are missing you for a timeless connection. This romantic gesture is also particularly handy if you are a long distance couple, but I recommend this to everyone.

3. Spontaneous Surprise: Blindfold Date Reveal

I surprised my boyfriend with date plans without a blindfold, but adding an element of surprise and spontaneity using a blindfold to cover your significant other's eyes when revealing a surprise date, like a picnic or dinner, is a great way to spice up your relationship. Adding an element of surprise creates an exciting thrill that makes any date much more memorable. If you feel your dating game skills are weak because of predictability, blindfolding or simply surprising your significant other with plans is great. I loved telling my boyfriend what directions to drive in, and ultimately stopping by his favorite restaurant (it happens to be Chipotle) with his order already prepped for pick up to take on a scenic picnic date. The cost is low on this one, but the reward is high on the romance meter.

4. Hidden Clues that Make You Swoon

Adding on to the idea of a spontaneous date surprise, which can range from dinner to the movies, is writing "clues" in envelops for your special person. Similar to the idea used on ABC's "The Bachelor", where a date card reveals a rhyme/clue to the date plans, writing a little note with a mysterious hint to date plans is an excellent method to sprucing up the fire of romance. It can be as simple as hinting for a road trip, movie event, surprise, anything you can imagine! Notecards and a trail of clues is a creative, not to mention free, way of improving your relationship's romance department. Thank me later!

5. Songs for Bae & Good Tunes for Days

A basic topic covered in the early stages of many relationships is music interests. The exchange of favorite songs, artists, and albums is usually shared between a couple even before they start dating in what millennials refer to as "the talking stage." Creating a playlist of your significant other's favorite songs, or "your songs" (songs you've listened to together and connect with) is a cost-free way of showing your attention to detail and care for your special someone. Spotify also offers a setting where two people (aka you and your sweetheart) can have a joint listening session to a playlist anywhere in the world! Spark the flames from the push of a button using Spotify #NotSponsoredButIWish

6. Memory Lane

Research shows that couples who look over old photos and memories of their relationship together feel warmer towards each other. Cue the arrows, Cupid. Another free idea, and in an age of technology, you can make a quick slideshow of photos and videos to share to with your significant other. Either send it when you're missing them, or watch it together, but creating a video or photo album of your memories is a great way to show your love for someone. Adding a song over video that also connects to memories you've had is a nicely added touch. When my boyfriend went up to FSU and I stayed home doing remote classes, I made a picture frame collage with photos of the different places we've been plus screenshot print outs of the maps to these places. Thoughtful details like this go a long way. Also it's ehem*, free. Did I say free? Yes, free!

7. Lead by Example

If you're reading this from the perspective of the person wishing your significant other made some moves, don't fret. Leading by example and doing exactly what you wish you had your significant other is a way of addressing the issue without making them feel called out. It is hard to address romance as an aspect of the relationship, so kindly communicating and asking what your S.O. definition of romance is will help you see eye to eye and develop a better understanding of each other. Consider sharing calendars so you can see when they're free to go on a spontaneous date, or remembering little details to incorporate in meaningful gifts. Things as simple as knowing their favorite snack and having it when meeting up casually to study, or knowing their favorite song and playing it on the car stereo while going for a drive makes a difference. Remember, romance goes a long way!

Stay tuned for a future article dedicated to date ideas that are a bang for your buck. Here were a few ideas for date ideas that are at little to no cost, and remember: you don't think you could end up being friend zoned by your partner, but it could happen. Romance matters, effort matters, love matters.