Why Being An Only Child Is Okay

Why Being An Only Child Is Okay

The misconceptions about us aren't always true

28
Why Being An Only Child Is Okay
Alexa Biscotto

Everyone always says how lucky I am to be an only child. I don't have to deal with that annoying sibling who drives them crazy. Which is true, but the bond between siblings is something that I will never experience.

I will never get to run to my parents and tell on my sibling just to get them in trouble. I will also never get to comfort my sibling when they are going through a hard time. While that was hard for me when I was little, as a young adult I have come to the realization that it is okay. I don't feel like I grew up too spoiled, it's always good to be spoiled just a little bit, though. It's a common misconception that all only children are spoiled since there's no one else to spoil. This is true for some, but for me, I've still learned to work for what I want and not to expect my parents to supply me with everything.

I've learned to be independent. I grew up independent and enjoyed doing things on my own. I always was the one to share everything. I was never selfish because of it like most would think. I had to learn who I could go to for the advice that a brother or sister could have supplied me. My parents did a really great job of teaching me the things the things that most people would think that only children would lack.

As a child I always wanted a sibling to play with, but I've always been pretty outgoing and always had friends that I could play with if I pick up the phone. My best friend and I have been friends for our entire lives. We grew up across the street from each other. Her, her sister and brother have become siblings to me. We annoy each other, but we love each other as well and they are that sibling bond that I really wanted. There's also all of those other benefits like extra presents, attention, etc. If you have a sibling, that's wonderful. Never wish you didn't because having a sibling and being an only child have equal amount of benefits.

But for me, I'm okay with not having siblings. It's something that is normal to me now, and I can't really imagine it any other way.