Why Attending College Far Away From Home Is The Best Decision I Ever Made

Home will always be where the heart is, but if you get a chance to go away for college, it is an unforgettable opportunity.
165

My home is 1,055 miles away from my University, and moving so far away is the best decision I have ever made. Don’t get me wrong, I love where I live, but I am a strong believer in taking this important time in life to travel and do something you would never otherwise do. College is such an opportune time; there are so many adventures and experiences to be had. So, why not leap?

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared to leave home. I had never been on my own before. My parents were always right behind me, steadily guiding me through life. Now, being a thousand miles away I had to be on my own. There is always an adjustment period, a moment of did I make the right decision? The ultimate answer is yes, you did. To grow, and mature you need to do the things that scare you and make you want to run. I have grown up so much in my time at college and I still have more growing to do. I know I have an ocean to conquer and that’s OK. That is the beauty of life, there is always something you don’t know, something to explore. Many people think that when you are alone you are at your weakest. As it turns out, that is the furthest thing from the truth. Being so far away from home forces you to make your own decision, and rely on yourself. Independence is truly a gift, and it is one that no one can give you. Independence is only found in times of great bravery and responsibility.

A funny thing about leaving home is that it makes you appreciate home and family more. I started to realize the things that I missed and learned to cherish those things and spend my time wisely while I was at home. I learned to appreciate my family more as well. You don’t realize how much your mom does for you until you have to do it all yourself. I can barely do laundry and homework during the same day, and still remember to eat and breathe. Yet, my mom always multitasks with ease, and even more with a smile on her face. Above I said one of the reasons why I was afraid to go so far away was because my parents had always lead me through life. Well, I soon discovered that fear was invalid. My parents still guide me and will always be there, they’re the ones who tell you that it’s ok if you want to change your major and go in a different direction, and you have to wash darks on cold. Although they are far away their support doesn’t wane. Yes, you’re gaining independence, but you’ll always have someone to lean on.

Home will always be where the heart is, but if you get a chance to go away for college, it is an unforgettable opportunity. The friends you make and the adventures you will have are truly life altering. Now is the time to be brave, make mistakes, and jump into something completely new.