Why, As A Jew, I Could Never Compare Trump To Hitler

A response to those who think that these two men are one and the same.

603
Alternet

Recently I have come across many articles on my Facebook newsfeed comparing presidential candidate, Donald Trump, to the leader of the Holocaust, Adolf Hitler. When I saw headlines such as "A Jewish Response To Trump Being Called Hitler" and "How My Jewish Upbringing Has Taught Me To Fear Donald Trump," I was shocked to find out that these Jewish writers, and other Facebook users, were supporting the branded nickname of "Hitler" onto Donald Trump. As a Jew, I had expected these fellow Jews to be offended and appalled, like I was, with how Hitler's name was being played with to prove a point about racism. However, I was wrong.

I am not in favor of Trump nor am I against him. In fact, I have no idea who I am voting for. But I am against the misuse of a man's name who will live on in infamy. If you fear Trump merely because of Hitler, then you don't know what real fear is. If you were a Jew during World War II, all you knew how to feel was fear because you were literally ripped out of your home and from that moment forward, you lived every day not knowing if it would be your last.

The name "Hitler" strikes a chord with Jewish people, Holocaust victims, Holocaust survivors and practically all human beings. You need to understand the severity of this name before you dare say it or use it on social media. You need to understand the Holocaust before jumping to conclusions about what defines "Hitler."

For those of you who don't know, Hitler's only goals and aspirations as a leader were to wipe out the entire Jewish population. Hitler and the Nazis were responsible for killing an astonishing 6 million Jews, the largest genocide in the world. That's how powerful Hitler was. You might believe that Donald Trump's racist comments are just the beginning of a soon-to-be genocide, but that is nothing more than a generalization that you are following, along with the rest of the world. It is falsely implying that someone with seemingly racist views could replicate the destruction that Hitler caused. Now that is a strong accusation. And frankly, I find it hard to believe that he could match Hitler's inhumane actions.

I'm sure if you asked any Holocaust survivor if Donald Trump reminded them of Adolf Hitler, the memories of their shaved heads and the forced separation from their families in the concentration camps would be incapable of feeling the same way about these two men. Young, innocent kids, as seen below, were being de-humanized, experiencing some of the harshest forms of cruelty known to man.

I've done my research, but have you done yours? The Jews were tortured and abused because Hitler believed that their race was inferior to Christians. A reason as simple and unjustifiable as that. It is no secret that Trump is against various minorities and has made racist and questionable comments. Unlike the Jews who did nothing wrong, the Muslims he is targeting and hopes to ban from the US have a reputation of being terrorists or criminals and could pose a threat to the safety of our country. Is that a justifiable reason? That is open to interpretation. But at least it is coming from a place of good intentions, and most of all, is in no way threatening physical harm on these races. Hitler only looked out for himself; at least Trump believes these lengths will keep America a safer place, free from terrorism.

All political views aside, we need to put a stop to this "Hitler" trend. We are taking it too far, too quickly. The truth of the matter is racism will always remain a part of our world. Sure, we've had previous presidents with somewhat racist views; they just didn't come across as strongly as Trump does. Racism is everywhere; you just wouldn't expect it or want to hear it from a presidential candidate. It's not "politically correct."

Contrary to what some people think, this comparison to Hitler will not change the racist problems in our world, help prepare ourselves for a future minority attack or prevent Trump from a spot in the White House. It is just another media angle and scare tactic in an effort to hurt Trump's reputability, but we shouldn't be resorting to this. If you want to hate Trump, hate him on his own terms.

You can call Trump all the names you want: racist, sexist, liar or more. He very well could be a horrible person or a bad potential president. But he is not synonymous to a mass murderer. Just like how the phrase "retarded" shouldn't be said lightly, neither should the name "Hitler." It is a mockery of the Jews and all of those who were victims under Hitler's dictatorship.

That name should stand alone in history forever, not alongside a presidential candidate. Because Hitler doesn't deserve to share his despicable reputation. We will never forget Hitler and his terrible mark on the Holocaust, but we don't need to conjure extreme ideas about what Trump will do with the minorities he is openly against and get ahead of ourselves with another genocide. Until Trump has matched the destruction and terror Hitler created, these two people will never be the same.

I vote for a society that knows the difference between racism and inhumanity. I vote for a society that understands the difference between Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump.