Why Are People Burning Shoes?
News

The Nike Boycott Has Gone Too Far

All about the Nike ad that's causing a scene.

39
https://pixabay.com/en/feet-footwear-nike-shoes-sneakers-1840619/

It was back in 2016 when Colin Kaepernick decided not to rise for the National Anthem during a preseason game for the 49ers. This led to a huge polarized reaction from the country. Some were proud of him for refusing to support a country who continued to have race and equality issues. Others believed it was a disrespect to the country and the military for not standing to honor the country's history. It was almost all forgotten until Nike released its new ad campaign on Monday.

Nike released an ad campaign with Kaepernick as the spokesperson. It featured a picture of the athlete with the quote, "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything." Other athletes were included that are standing up for equality in this country. Usually, companies don't take political stances because it can cause backlash from their customers, ultimately resulting in a possible loss of profits. Here, Nike didn't care! They believe that the stand they are taking for equality outweighs the possible loss of profits.

Then, customers... retaliated. A "Nike Boycott" was beginning. Spread throughout social media were videos of people burning their Nike products. Shoes, shirts, socks. People even decided that cutting off the Nike logo from their products was a way to boycott Nike.

In my opinion, this boycott is a little too far. I understand that everyone has their own political opinion, but burning clothes that were bought makes no sense to me. There are people all over the world in desperate need of clothes. Sending them Nike clothes would most likely be an amazing gift. So why don't people just donate them, instead of lighting them on fire?

Not only that, but at the end of the day, it is one picture. Yes, it stands for something, a more equal country possibly. But also, one celebrity endorsement isn't worth all of this waste of products. Understandably, people will stand for what they believe in, but please think of other people if you decide you want to get rid of some Nike products.