Instead Of Donating To Rebuild Notre Dame, Donate To Help Humans
News

Imagine If We Cared As Much About Human Suffering As We Do About Rebuilding A Building

Imagine if we put that amount of money towards Flint or towards kids who are starving in Africa or children trying to go to school. We need to start putting money into people.

118

The beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris went ablaze as millions of people watched around the world. I watched the news as the church was burning and felt saddened that years of architecture and history diminished rapidly. I've never visited the church, but I'm a huge fan of Gothic architecture, and the Cathedral is a stunning landmark that I'd planned to visit at some point in my life. However, as saddening as it was, the burning of the Cathedral just shows that nothing is permanent and that life must go on.

Yet some people took the church's fate more seriously than they should've.

French President Emmanuel Macron stated that he wanted the church rebuilt in five years. The University of Notre Dame in Indiana donated $100,000 to the Cathedral. I'm not saying either of those are bad ideas. However, they are a little naive. Let's break it down. The Cathedral was only built and stood for so long because we put money into the ideas of the people who wanted it to become a reality. Imagine if we put that amount of money towards Flint or towards kids who are starving in Africa or children trying to go to school.

We need to start putting money into people.

I saw a post on Facebook where a woman told people not to donate to the Cathedral, despite her being Catholic! She said something along the lines of, "God doesn't care about stained glass, he cares about HUMANS."

After all, the Cathedral is just a building. It lasted for centuries and it was historical, but not all of it was ruined anyway.

Climate change is attacking our world. FAST. It's about time we really start to take a look at the things that matter and take control of our FUTURE. Not things that have already passed.