Why We Are All Losing In The Colin Kaepernick Debate

How being right, puts us all in the wrong.

6
USATFTW

I had been working an article about international sports competitions and the impact that they have on host countries. While working on that piece a controversy has exploded inside of my own country surrounding San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick, a widely celebrated player in 2011 and 2012, when he led the 49ers to the Super Bowl against the Baltimore Ravens, has fallen off in recent years and is battling with Blaine Gabbert to see who will start in Chip Kelly’s first year with the team. The controversy surrounding him stems from his choice to sit down while the national anthem was played prior to kickoff. He has since stated that "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, to me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Although this is the first time that a player has been spotted sitting for the anthem it is not the first incident in recent memory of NFL players speaking out against police brutality. On November 30th, 2014 St. Louis Rams Wide Receivers Steadman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Kenny Britt along with Tight End Jared Cook entered the field with the “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” signal that had become synonymous with the Michael Brown shooting by Officer Darren Wilson in the nearby city of Ferguson, MO. Weeks later on December 14th, 2014 Cleveland Browns Wide Receiver Andrew Hawkins entered the field with a shirt over of his uniform calling for justice for Tamir Rice. Rice a 12-year-old black male shot by Cleveland Police Officer Timothy Loehmann, an officer that resigned facing the possibility of being fired by a previous Police Department. In the NBA multiple players wore warm-up shirts saying “I Can’t Breath” tied to the death of Eric Garner and recently stars LeBron James, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwayne Wade spoke at the ESPY’s about helping our nation heal in the wake of these tragedies.

The recent actions by Kaepernick have ignited opinions on both sides of this issue with many saying that it is disrespectful towards Veterans that have fought for this country, some even going as far as to burn their #7 jerseys to the National Anthem. Others have argued that it is his constitutional right of expression given to him by the first amendment of the United States Constitution “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” Some veterans have even taken to social media using the hashtag #VeteransforKaepernick. In these messages, they have stated that they defended his right to express himself by not standing during the national anthem.

No matter which side of this very divisive issue that you fall on there are some discussions that we need to have. The first is the obvious discussion of race relations in the United States in the 21st Century. Although we have made great strides from where we were just generations ago from tension between law enforcement and minorities to the Oklahoma Sigma Alpha Epsilon bus video to other events across this country. There have been good and bad on both sides of the issue and to throw the blame solely on one group would be reckless and unfair. I can say however that I have seen some events in the news in recent months that make me hopeful for a better future for our country.

The piece of rhetoric that I found the most deceptive on this whole issue was stated by among others, Tomi Lahren who said that if Kaepernick does not love America he should leave it. This is something that I have seen from talk shows to bumper stickers and although I understand what they are trying to say a “Love it or Leave it” mentality is not the America that I know and love. America was founded on many principles from freedom of speech, religion and expression to the right to vote for our leaders. It is possible to love our country while also realizing that it is not now nor will it ever be perfect. It is not possible for imperfect people to make a truly perfect society. Only by acknowledging flaws will we truly make ground on correcting them. Although I wish that Kaepernick would stand with his hand over his heart during the playing of the National Anthem I respect his right as an American to choose not to in the same way that I respect the rights of Americans that voice their anger at his actions as this too is there right because although we have the right to express ourselves and speak our peace on issues we all still must face the consequences of our expressions and actions.

In closing I ask you remember not to criticize but to try to understand. Be guided by love and understanding not hate and anger. As we as Americans have heard so many times before UNITED we Stand.