Why All Presidents Should Aspire To Be Like Reagan

Not only was Reagan a great president, he was more importantly a great man.

86
Fox Business

I've been asked many time throughout my life who my favorite president is. I could say Lincoln, Eisenhower, JFK or FDR. But my answer will always be Ronnie.

When I tell people that Ronald Reagan is my favorite, they automatically call me a typical Republican. It's true that Republicans glorify Reagan as the greatest president, but why is that a bad thing? He loved his country, his wife and his God.

In my opinion, we need another Reagan for president. And no, I'm not insinuating that Trump is somehow Reagan 2.0, because he isn't. He may have adopted Reagan's "Make America Great Again" slogan, but he will never be anything like Ronnie. In case you thought Trump's slogan was so great, now you know where it initially came from.

Reagan was a patriot. He loved his country and knew that it was the country that was great, not him. He believed that children should be taught how great America is from the start and said, "If we forget what we did then we will forget who were are." He believed that the history of our nation was important because our freedom is fragile. He bled red, white and blue through and through, and that's the type of president our country so desperately needs today.

Many people believe that Ronnie was able to change the world because he was a Godly man. He wasn't a Godly man just because he prayed with and for our nation on live television, but because of the way he lived his life. He was a Godly man because of the way he wasn't afraid to speak of God or stand up for his Savior. After his assassination attempt, he was asked if he was ready to meet God and he responded with, "I am not afraid to meet God because I have a Savior." He also recognized that there was danger in expelling God and in a public square he said, “And yet today we're told that to protect the First Amendment we must expel God, the source of all knowledge, from our children’s classrooms. Well, pardon me, but the First Amendment was not written to protect the American people from religion, the First Amendment was written to protect the American people from government tyranny.” He knew we needed God in our nation, and that's the kind of president America needs today.

He was a gentleman. He created the Republican 11th Commandment, which stated that “Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Republican.” Not to continue bashing Trump, but as someone who apparently glorifies Reagan so much, you would think he would follow this so-called commandment. He does the exact opposite, calling fellow candidates and women demeaning names. That is something that Ronnie never did, ever. Even when he disagreed with someone, Reagan still showed them the utmost courtesy and respect he knew they deserved. Where most people would be rude and disrespectful, Reagan was full of kindness. Even in the debate with Jimmy Carter when Reagan didn't agree with his words, Reagan simply chuckled and said, "there you go again" rather than bashing Carter with rude comments. Our nation needs a gentleman.

Lastly, he loved his wife, Nancy, so much. To me, they are the ultimate relationship goal. They completed one another and both said neither of their lives started until they met. Nancy even wrote a book titled "I Love You Ronnie" and in the book Reagan said that he felt lost before he met her. They supported one another and loved one another without end. Without Nancy, I don't think Reagan could have lived up to his potential to be a great president the way he did. On their 8th anniversary he said, "Thanks to you, I'm just 8 years old today." How freakin' cute is that! America needs a president who loves his wife and family, not just himself.

I could go on and on about how highly I think of Ronald Reagan. Yes, he was a great president, but beyond that, he was a amazing man. That's more important in my eyes, because if he wasn't such a great man, he wouldn't have made such an impact during his life and even after. There will never be another Ronald Reagan, but in my opinion, future candidates, presidents and even you ought to strive to be like him. Yes, the world we are living in is quite different than his was, but that doesn't mean his humbleness, kindness, strength and patriotism cannot carry over to today. You may not like Reagan, but you can agree that it's tremendously hard not to respect him.

Remember: "Without God there is no virtue because there is no prompting of the conscience... without God there is a coarsening of the society; without God democracy will not and cannot long endure. If we forget that we are One Nation Under God, there will be a nation gone under."