Why 5SOS Fans Are Willing To Go The Extra Mile: Part 3

The third and final article in the feature edition highlighting 5 Seconds of Summer's biggest fans.

23
Joe Lemke Photography

5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS) is beyond privileged to have such an amazing and supportive fan base. For the past two weeks on Odyssey, I have featured and highlighted some of the band's biggest fans from their Sounds Live Feels Live (SLFL) tour in St. Paul, MN (click here for part one and part two). Through each interview and article published, it has been wondrously incredible to learn why 5SOS fans are continuously in an outpouring of love for these four boys.

At the mere mention of 5SOS and their music, the fans immediately are strong to support them and see to it that they succeed. They're full of fierce dedication and passion to support the boys no matter what. As a thank you, in return, the band has acknowledged their fans' commitment by working hard to build a strong relationship with them.

One of the biggest ways in which 5SOS has given back to their fans is through the incredible shows they give each tour. 5SOS puts their all into every performance despite ever being sick, tired or over-worked. They know how much their fans look forward to every show, and they take the stage each night with high energy determined to make it the best night possible for those in the audience.

I have definitely enjoyed talking to the fans who have participated in this three-part feature edition. Each answer I have received about why they love 5SOS has been different and unique in its own way. To complete this third and final article series, here are the rest of 5SOS' biggest highlighted fans from my twitter account @5SOSSTPAUL:

Alyssa, age 16, twitter: @backes_alyssa - from Minot, North Dakota

Alyssa has traveled 18 hours to see 5SOS in St. Paul, MN for both their Rock Out With Your Socks Out (ROWYSO) and SLFL tours. She said, “I am willing to travel to see them because they mean the absolute world to me. Their music has helped me through very hard times, and I think they’re amazing people. They make sure everyone has the best night of their lives, and they make the venue feels like fans’ safe place. I’m willing to wait all day no matter what for them. Even if your feet hurt or you’re hot and tired, it’s the experience that comes with it that is truly incredible.”

Alyssa said she loves 5SOS because “Their music has such a deep emotional feeling to it. It gets you through hard times you think you can’t get through. Even if you’ve had a terrible day, you can come home and put your headphones in, turn on their albums and feel better again. I’m a fan because they’re amazing, wholehearted individuals who make life changing music.”

Keely, age 14. twitter @stpaulcalum - from South Dakota

Keely saw 5SOS in St. Paul, MN for the first time on their SLFL tour. She traveled about four hours to see the band, and she said she loves 5SOS because "Their music is about real life situations. It's not always about girl meets boy, boy meets girl, girl falls in love with boy and vice versa. It's about problems that people go through and deal with. It's helped me realize I'm not alone in such a messed up society. Their songs have really helped me through a dark place and I couldn't be more thankful for them.

Without them, I wouldn't be smiling. I've made new friends because of them, and I've began to step out of my comfort zone. It's all thanks to 5SOS. I don't know how much I can thank them for making me happy again and helping me through dark times. What can I say; not all heroes wear capes!"

Xochitl, age 18, twitter: @XTlaseca - from Minneapolis, Minnesota

Xochitl saw 5SOS perform on their SLFL tour in St. Paul, MN and said it was the best day of her life. She's only seen 5SOS once on tour but said "I would travel to different cities to see them perform on the same tour because I want to always experience it and see what the show is like from a different state."

Xochitl said she loves 5SOS because "They've helped me through my rough times. They might not know me personally or anything, but they've been through some similar things. I am a fan of 5SOS because they're the only ones that I could go to when I'm at my lowest. Just listening to their songs makes me forget everything. People always think that they're just a band but they are so much more. 5SOS is like a family."

Emily, age 18, twitter: @emilymayerle - from Tuscon, Arizona

Emily traveled to Raleigh, NC from Arizona to see 5SOS when they were on their ROWYSO tour. She traveled for the show because she was moving and unable to attend the shows near her, so her dad flew her out to Raleigh for the show. She said “I couldn’t stand the thought of missing their concert, and it was something that made me happy after I moved, especially because I had to go to a whole new state and school as a senior in high school.”

Emily said she loves 5SOS because “They are really important to me. Their music speaks what I feel sometimes when I’m sad and it can also cheer me up if I’m having a bad day. I’m a fan because they seem like genuinely good guys, and they’re relatable in the sense that they’ve had their own struggles to face but they try to stay positive.”

Kaelyn, age 15, twitter: @fanssavemikey - from Minnesota

Kaelyn drove 13 hours to see 5SOS in Detroit when they were on tour with One Direction. She has also seen them perform twice in St. Paul, MN. She said she would love to see the band more than once on tour because"This band means so much to me; I could never get tired of seeing them live. 5SOS means everything to me. They’re genuine people and care so much about their fans. During shows it’s really fun to see the way they interact with each other and the crowd. Seeing what they’re like in person as opposed to watching them on a screen is an unforgettable experience."

Kaelyn said she loves 5SOS because "They’re music is so relatable. It makes me feel like they really understand where some people are coming from and they express that in a unique way. When I was going through some rough times in my life their music was the first thing I turned to. That’s why I am a fan. Their music really helps me and always puts me in a good mood.”

Andrea, age 16, twitter: @andreayarrx - from South Dakota

Andrea traveled four and a half hours to see 5SOS on their ROWYSO and SLFL tours. She said she loves the band and is willing to travel to see them because “Their music and their personalities have always made me smile. Even when I am down, I can always count on their music. 5SOS just has such an uplifting energy within them and their music reflects that but also reflects a more calmer side to them. When they perform, their personalities just shine and make me so happy.”

Madeline, age 20, twitter: @HelloMadeline - from Columbus, Ohio

Madeline drove two hours to St. Paul, MN to see 5SOS on their ROWYSO and SLFL tours. She said she loves the band because “5SOS mean the world to me. They’re what got me into bands. They’re the first musicians I saw live and their music helps get me through my depression. I think they’re an important segway between pop and rock/punk/alternative and I truly believe they've helped bring guitars back to the radio. The essence 5SOS has is super rare these days and I think it’s important for the music industry.

There is also something cool about being able to bond with complete strangers while waiting for the show. I’ve gotten to see 5SOS improve over the years a lot and see them grow as a band. They’re mostly the same age as me so I guess I feel sort of like their friend even though I’ve never met them. The 5SOS fandom has changed since I joined in 2013, but the boys really do stay true to their music and fans, and you can tell they’re in it completely for the music. They’re literally the kings of the 'New Broken Scene.'"

5SOS has given so many people music to love and amazing experiences to enjoy. I, along with all these amazing fans from this article series, will continue to love this band in my own unique ways. After all, no one said it better than 5SOS member Michael Clifford when he tweeted: "Real bands save fans, real fans save bands." Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this feature; the 5SOS fandom would not be the same without you.