Why 5SOS Fans Are Willing To Go The Extra Mile: Part 2

A continuing edition of 5 Seconds of Summer's biggest fans who are willing to go above and beyond for the band.

24
Joe Lemke Photography

In part one of the "Why 5SOS Fans Are Willing To Go The Extra Mile" edition, I highlighted some of 5 Seconds Of Summer's (5SOS) biggest fans featured from my twitter account @5SOSSTPAUL. I wanted to capture the essence of the 5SOS fandom and share some of the individual fans' stories to show how truly incredible 5SOS and music world they have built for their fans is. The 5SOS fans are some of the most dedicated, and because of them, 5SOS continues to climb the charts and build momentum in the music industry.

When I asked some of 5SOS' fans on twitter about their 5SOS concert experience(s) and why they love and support the band in the ways that they do, this is what they had to say:

Izabelle, age 15, twitter: @loverhood96 - from Naples, Florida

Izabelle went to see 5SOS perform when they were headlining their Rock Out With Your Socks Out (ROWYSO) and Sounds Live Feels Live (SLFL) tours in St. Paul, MN. For ROWYSO she traveled 246 miles and four hours from Fargo, ND just to see the boys. When she came back to St. Paul for SLFL, she traveled from Naples, FL 1736 miles, which was a three day drive. She said, "While many people would think that driving that far for a concert is crazy, for 5SOS it was completely worth it. When you see them live, you feel so happy and excited."

Izabelle said she loves the band because "5SOS has helped me through so much and that's why I'm a fan of them. It's not because of their looks or because they are famous; it's because their music really speaks to their fans on a personal level. I became a fan of 5SOS when I had just gotten out of the hospital after being diagnosed with diabetes. I was watching some YouTube videos, and in the recommended section, I saw their song 'Wherever You Are.' I clicked on it and instantly fell in love with the lyrics and the sound.

At the time, I wasn't really happy with who I was; I was constantly feeling down because I felt alone. When I found this song, it really spoke to me because ever since I was little my family and I have moved around a lot. I have been to many schools and left many friends behind. Whenever I would listen to it, I would cry. They weren't really sad tears, they were actually somewhat happy tears because I thought, 'Oh my gosh, someone understands me and knows where I am coming from.' For me, that was something I wasn't really used to."

Bekah, age 15, twitter: @bekah_schulz - from Columbia Heights, Minnesota

Bekah saw 5SOS on both their ROWYSO and SLFL tours in St. Paul, MN. She said, “5SOS means so much to me in so many ways. I love how they are willing to stick with music that they want to write and not go by our society that screams pop music. It’s astounding how well each song lyric is written.

I really relate to 'Jet Black Heart.' It is written so well. My favorite lyric in the song is 'the blood in my veins is made up of mistakes.' Every human being, including me, makes mistakes. Being able to know that a band you love acknowledges problems that we fans go through is such a relief. For me it shows I'm not alone and that the band cares for us and wants to help.

5SOS' album ‘Sounds Good Feels Good’ has done so much for me since its album release. It has made me happy, sad and has even made me cry. But most of all, it has made me feel less alone. As a believer of Christ, I always known that I’m not alone, but I like to think that 5SOS is the cherry on top as another reassurance. These guys truly know what they are doing with their music, and I hope they keep doing it for a long time."

Tristan, age 15, twitter: @invisiblecalpal - from Canada

Tristan drove eight hours from Canada to St. Paul, MN to see 5SOS on their SLFL tour. She said “Honestly, I would travel from city to city to see them again and again because they are my idols and their music means so much to me.”

Tristan loves 5SOS because “The boys mean so much to me. I would wait 48 hours just to see them up close or meet them. I would do anything for those four boys. They’ve helped me with my depression because their music, faces and interviews make me happy. They have helped me through so much and I haven’t even met them. Their songs ‘Broken Home’ and ‘Invisible’ especially mean a lot to me. I don’t know if I would be here today without those four lovable idiots.”

Audrey, age 21, twitter: @thee_Asian - from South Dakota

Audrey saw 5SOS for the first time when they were on tour with One Direction in Chicago, IL, and she was instantly hooked. When 5SOS announced their headlining ROWYSO tour, she called her friend, and minutes later they were buying tickets to see the band in St. Paul, MN.

She said, “I think one of the reasons I’m willing to travel to see my favorite bands is because the first time you see them take that first step on stage or hear the first chord or note of a song, you’re instantly hooked. It’s like everything, all your problems and worries, just disappear. It’s just you and good music. When they play your favorite song, the whole world stops. Once the lights come back on and they finish their bows, you crave their presence again. You miss singing every lyric at the top of your lungs back at the people you admire. That’s when the desire to see them again hits.”

Brianna, age 17, twitter: @briannaagill - from St. Cloud, Minnesota

Brianna has seen 5SOS multiple times in different states including Minnesota and Michigan. She said, “I love them more than anything. It is so important to me to be able to see them live, especially if they are not coming to my home state. For their ROWYSO tour I waited about six hours for pit and soundcheck. No matter how many times I see them, it’s always my main goal to get as close to them as possible. I have loved them since 2011, and no matter what, they literally always make me so ridiculously happy.”

Shelby, age 17, twitter: @harrysgirl1799 - from Minnesota

Shelby has seen 5SOS three times in Minnesota, each time traveling about four hours to see the band. She said “5SOS is my favorite band, and they mean the world to me. Their music has helped me through so much as I have been diagnosed with a chronic illness. They’re so funny and so positive and have helped me through a lot. Waiting over eight hours to see them in soundcheck was very worth it to be in the second row, make eye contact, and have a relatively intimate experience with them."

Shelby said she loves 5SOS because "Their music, especially the new stuff on 'Sounds Good Feels Good', makes me feel like I’m not alone. Their music gives me hope. In interviews and concerts they talk about their own mental health struggles, and I think if they can deal with mental illness and touring and all of the stress that they have, then I can deal with mine too and maybe overcome it someday."

Alexa, age 16, twitter: @LuvACM - from Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Alexa traveled five hours to St. Paul, MN to see 5SOS on their ROWYSO and SLFL tours. She said she is willing to travel to see 5SOS because “They do so much for their fans with their music, so it’s just kind of like saying thank you and showing your appreciation towards them by going to one of their shows and showing your support.” Alexa is willing to wait hours to see the band because “while you’re waiting to see them, you usually get to meet others and hear their stories about why they admire 5SOS and what they have done for them and their lives."

Alexa said she loves 5SOS because, "Their music helps you feel like you’re not alone in many situations and that it’s okay to not fit in with those around you. I'm a 5SOS fan because their music is freaking amazing but also because they always try to spread love and positive vibes, even though everything they might see online might not be too positive.”

Hollie, age 15, twitter: @HollieSindt - from Estherville, Iowa

Hollie drove three hours from Iowa to Minnesota for the SLFL St. Paul show. She said,“I'm willing to go to 5SOS' tours no matter where they are because once you go to one of 5SOS' concerts you get this feeling that you've never felt before. I discovered them when I was going through the typical emo stage that everyone goes through, and ever since then I’ve been hooked.

Hollie said she loves 5SOS because, "They care so much for their fans, and they’ve always showed that through everything they put out for us. They are four of the people I can count on to make my day better, even though I don’t text them or something like that. Just watching their videos or hearing their music instantly puts me in a better mood.”

Abbie, age 17, twitter: @sorensen_abbie - from Rogers, Minnesota

Abbie traveled from MN to Chicago, IL to see 5SOS on their ROWYSO tour last summer. She said “My concert experience was amazing. I had been joking with my friend about going to the concert and then we actually made the road trip happen. It was pure spontaneity and the best concert I have ever been to. It was an experience I will never forget."

Abbie said she loves 5SOS because "Their music honestly makes me so happy. I enjoy dancing and singing along to it with my friends. Whenever I’m feeling down, I can always count on their music to cheer me up. I am a fan of 5SOS because I love the music genre they play. They are adorable human beings and they always make my day better."

Every time I read each individual fan's story I am so in awe of what this band has done for so many people. It's incredible how music can help and heal in so many ways. Not only has 5SOS given people countless adventures and memories to make, but their music has also been there for them through hard times. It's for those reasons that I always will be such a huge fan of them.

For more 5SOS related content and updates, follow @5SOSSTPAUL on Twitter.