White Privilege From A Black College Student's Perspective

No one is saying you're entitled, and if they are, they're not on the same page as the rest of us.

320

Generally speaking, entitlement is believing that oneself is inherently deserving of privileges, rights, or special treatment. Disclaimer: that is not where this is going.

The term "privilege" is defined in Merriam-Webster Dictionary as:

a.) a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others,

b.) a special opportunity to do something that makes you proud,

c.) the advantage that wealthy and powerful people have over other people in a society.

Combining these to make a simple definition, or maybe a more simplistic interpretation, could be: an advantage or benefit that some people within society have, and others do not.

The word "privilege" has a long, bad, connotation. Many speak of people being privileged most times when those in question happen to be rich, have high status, or are favored in some way or another, or even more simply, when they have it "easier than the rest of us." So, when this word is applied to race or ethnicity, people tend to take a step back upon hearing the phrase, some thinking that it is a stab, some waiting for comments of disagreement, some not sure how to feel or what to say about it. But really, there is plenty to say.

First of all, race is a social construct that is defined by a group of people with distinctly similar characteristics. So no, no one is being attacked, blamed, or judged for being a part of a group. But what we can all be blamed for is letting the definitive characteristics of (a) person(s) or a group be what allows some to have certain exceptions, expectations, stereotypes, judgments, or generalizations placed on them, and therefore allowing this to constitute what and how people within society can execute the steps they take within their lives, and how far they may get. If there weren't strong visible (and statistical) differences, there would be no such term, matter or idea of white privilege, no matter whose mouth the phrase were to come from.

On the assumption that no one wants to be lectured at about what white privilege is, from the perspective of a black college student, I can certainly give an idea of some things that it is not.

(Many of these are from personal experience.)

White privilege is not being used to falling under the label "minority."

White privilege is not having to worry about you/your loved ones and acquaintances going out, only to be stared at in public solely because of the color of their skin.

White privilege is not having to be afraid that you drive by an authority vehicle and may get pulled over not for breaking the law, but because you are a minority.

White privilege is nothaving to be followed around in a store because of assumptions made about you based on your skin color.

White privilege is not having to worry about putting an "x" next to your race on a college or job application and wondering if that sole factor will hinder your chances.

White privilege is not having to worry about whether or not the color of your skin or your ethnic/religious background will alter someone's perception of you before you even open your mouth.

White privilege is not walking into an interview or a room full of new people, waiting to read body language in order to notice anything indicative of your skin color or appearance being an interference.

White privilege is notbeing afraid to speak up on the matter of social/racial issues because you're afraid people will think you're seeking sympathy, pity, or asking for special attention.

White privilege is not worrying about whether or not someone is analyzing your level of competence based on what they see on the outside before getting to know anything about you.

White privilege is nothaving the history of your racial or ethnic group ever undermined or being lessened in detail when taught in education systems.

White privilege is nothaving to grow up learning to be careful and aware of racism and how it can affect your life and what to do/how to act in this situation.

White privilege is nothaving to feel like you're in a constant battle against assumptions based on your race/ethnicity.

White privilege is notexperiencing people being surprised by your intelligence or ability to articulate.

White privilege is notwondering, "Is it because I'm ___?"

White privilege is notconstantly, consciously and guardedly feeling the skin you are in.

This is no official list, nor am I speaking for everyone or every minority. Some may disagree with some of these, some may disagree with all of these, or agree strongly with each one. Either way, all of these are prevalent cases to an extent, and they are real. To be comfortable reading any of those statements is almost to say that someone being viewed this way or feeling almost sub-human is okay. I would like to believe that most are not comfortable reading this. The more that we keep these matters in flow of discussion, all the more can be understood, and all the more can change.

At the same time, we all also have to be aware that these generalizations and general ignorance can indeed play both ways. We need to be conscious of what these social constructs are constituting for minorities, but we also have to remember that just because a group of people within society are generally considered "privileged," we can absolutely not take this label too literally and make people feel cornered, and vice versa. If we don't stand together, we do not stand.

White Privilege is the other side of racism. Unless we name it, we are in danger of wallowing in guilt or moral outrage with no idea of how to move beyond them. It is often easier to deplore racism and its effects than to take responsibility for the privileges some of us receive as a result of it… once we understand how white privilege operates, we can begin addressing it on an individual and institutional basis.” ~Paula Rothenberg

The next time you hear about white privilege or end up discussing it, rather than not knowing what to do with it or solely speaking on it, think about what can change so that this isn't what we hear. This goes for all sides.

Removing yourself from ignorance is key. Being aware is everything. Being aware is change. Change starts with you. Change starts with me. Change starts with him, her, them. Change starts with us.